NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

monkey nuts

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

i gave brian his first monkey nut recently (the peanuts in the shell) and he's far more interested in eating the shell than the nuts, he just drops those. can they eat the shells? i didn't think so, so i've been taking them off him, but i thought i would check.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest islandgirltexas

it is all eatable..just like the shell on a green bean..some will eat the whole thing..or some like my Macaw will shell it and just eat the beans inside. He may change his mind later as he develops taste. My Macaw even shells corn..just eats the inside of each kernal...Capt. Jack eats the whole thing..but he is only 3 months old. They are just like kids aren't they? LOL each one has a totally different personality and tastes

Guest briansmum

ooh great thankyou, i shall leave him to devour it then he will be pleased LOL. i didn't think they would be able to eat the shells. brian also shells corn kernals for the soft middles:laugh: thankyou for the info

Guest Monique

Okay I read the subject of this and thought you were going to tell a dirty joke or something ... LOL ... :P

Guest Lidia

You have to be careful though giving monkey nuts in the shell, as they can have mold which is poisonous to birds. The mold which grows on peanuts is among the deadliest. If you are giving monkeynuts/peanuts in the shell to your parrot, use human-grade peanuts, packed cleanly, as sometimes the nuts used in parrot mixes are not great quality and can be stored in less than ideal conditions, which is when the mold can develop.

"Aflatoxin is a cancer-causing poison produced by certain fungi in or on foods and feeds, especially in field corn and peanuts. They are probably the best known and most intensively researched mycotoxins in the world. Aflatoxins have been associated with various diseases, such as aflatoxicosis in livestock, domestic animals, and humans throughout the world."

And Joshua, who is eighteen years old crunches peanut shells and discards the peanuts! He doesn't ingest the shells, though, he just seems to enjoy the destruction of the shell and the mess it makes.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/06/26 12:04

Guest briansmum

thankyou Lidia for the information. i do buy human grade monkeynuts from the supermarket and they are sealed in a plastic bag, not the netting you see nuts in a petstore packed in. i follow the golden rule "do not feed anything to your grey that you would not eat yourself"... i even tried a harrisons pellet :P

Guest Lidia

I wish someone would invent a really large peanut, it would be a wonderful toy for a grey, a shreddable and edible toy.

Joshua stole my lovely bead-covered pen last night (I didn't witness the crime, only the after effects). Interestingly, he didn't go for the ink bit, but instead pulled all the beads off the casing.

Oh, the little ratbag.

:pinch:

Guest briansmum

yes most deffinately, yesterday brian managed to take a chunk out of my eyeliner pencil and chew a hole in my very expensive, limited edition, real leather wallet. :evil: i couldnt get mad though when he looked at me in his "mum, mum, look what i did!" way.. so cute. i'll just be more careful what i leave out now his beak is getting stronger

Guest islandgirltexas

Lidia wrote:

I wish someone would invent a really large peanut, it would be a wonderful toy for a grey, a shreddable and edible toy.

Joshua stole my lovely bead-covered pen last night (I didn't witness the crime, only the after effects). Interestingly, he didn't go for the ink bit, but instead pulled all the beads off the casing.

Oh, the little ratbag.

:pinch:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....CIRCUMSTANCIAL EVIDENCE..WOULD NOT HOLD UP IN A COURT OF LAW...HAHAHAHA..GOOD WORDING IN YOUR POST..VERY FUNNY

IMAGE0_12-a28b36ad4d22760c8613d5e9a90ace0c.GIF

IMAGE0_12-a28b36ad4d22760c8613d5e9a90ace0c.GIF

Well gollllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, thems just plain old peanuts, I don't give them to Josey. They come in the bag with other nuts, seeds and fruit but I take them out and give them to the outside birds. Sometimes there can be a fungus in the shell that can be harmful to our greys so I won't let her have them.

Guest Lidia

judygram wrote:

I'm still reeling from the realization that monkey nuts are just ole peanuts, how could I have been so stupid

Stop it, Judy. I can only afford spluttering water or tea once a day maximum!:evil: