NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Finger saver perch.

lovethatgrey

I just purchased this perch and am so glad. Emma gets very bold and brazen sometimes and bites when she is not pleased with me.

Today I got nailed twice. :angry:

Both times after I got off the phone. I know, I know... I should have learned my lesson by now... she dislikes me being on the phone and does not hesitate to express it when the opportunity presents itself.

This perch will really help me tons. The rest of you might want to purchase some too for training your parrots and to save your fingers.

http://www.bird.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=501055<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/30 03:28

:laugh: Dave you have to understand some of these women here aren't handy with a hammer and nail and maybe they don't have a man around the house to do that for them but thanks for the detailed instructions and if they happen to have a coconut shell left from another discarded toy then they can put the hand protector on like the one in the picture.

Thank you so much for your DIY idea, I am going to run right out and make one myself as I happen to be handy with a hammer:lol: :laugh: :woohoo:

Judy

you only have to use 1 nail from the cross piece into the handle. Not too hard, right?

Hood--just take a small plastic cup, put a hole in the bottom and slip it on the handle.

Price--the effort you'll need to slip the cup on the handle but knowing you, I think you can handle it with little problems. Just have a cup of coffee before starting out on this venture.

PS--you can use any size cup. it can be higher, shorter, widerm more narrow.

Go for it gal.

DSCN0003.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/30 19:13

lovethatgrey

Not to worry. As time goes on, you'll be making lots of things because greys really don't need such fancy things. They're chewers. They're very destructive. They'll chew anything that they find attractive. People here will give good ideas. Stores make simple things, the person brings it home and the bird destroys it. Greys don't need such fancy things. They really don't care. Do you really think greys care what about what damn color an item is? I'm glad you didn't taken offence to my posts and photos. It wasn't meant to make you out to be a non thinking person.

Cage perches--I take all new uniform round perches from new cages and take them out of cage and go outside in backyard and find dead branches and simply clean them and cut them to fit. Greys love those types of perches and they're good for the feet. Those pictures are a small T Bar I made for a friend who was teaching his amazon to step up when it was very young. At the time, the bird was clumsy. There's certain items that can be made and the item will wind up be using for a multitude of things. Just remember that in the future you'll be saving lots of money. Pet stores love to rip people off and take advantage of people. Plus, that also goes for places online that sell bird products.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/30 20:02

As I gave Kookie today a toy that I made for him I watched him shredd it till the last peice as if he was on a distruction mission and wouldnt stop until he tore down the last part...I was thinking I shouldve called him shredder...LOL

I agree with you Dave, even the simplest things can be good toys for them and its actually fun doing things for him to watch him destroy them...

we can do the same T shape with PVC pipe and Vet Wrap...also cheap and easy...

{Nature-00020095}

PMSL:woohoo: but you must have written those detailed instructions for others for I know my way around a hammer and nail. If I didn't know you I would have been highly offended by your remarks but instead I am sitting here wishing I hadn't forgotten my depends today, thought I wouldn't need them on Monday but boy was I wrong.:blink: :laugh:

Just stay away from maple trees. make sure the branches are somewhat dead. Usually, they're already fallen to the ground. You just take the branch in the house, lay it in a tub or slop sink, let it soak for about 1/2 hour. The reason for that is that the bark gets very soft and very easy to peel away. When you peel it away VOILA,you have an extremely hard, knarled, crooked, knotty branch and you can put it anywhere in the cage. You can make short branches, long branches--any size you want. Scrub it with some soap cleaner, let it dry off which will be very quick because the bark is no longer there. That type of perch reduces the chances of the bird slipping off a branch by 95%<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/30 20:26

To get Cleo in or out of her cage, or out of an awkward situation (eg perching precariously on top of a curtain rail), I just use a wooden perch from another unused cage. She's pretty good at stepping up on that, as she is still wary of my fingers.

Today puppy Jinx and I are going to the beach to gather driftwood for the lorikeets and Cleo to perch and chew on.

Dave007 wrote:

lovethatgrey

Not to worry. As time goes on, you'll be making lots of things because greys really don't need such fancy things. They're chewers. They're very destructive. They'll chew anything that they find attractive. People here will give good ideas. Stores make simple things, the person brings it home and the bird destroys it. Greys don't need such fancy things. They really don't care. Do you really think greys care what about what damn color an item is? I'm glad you didn't taken offence to my posts and photos. It wasn't meant to make you out to be a non thinking person.

Cage perches--I take all new uniform round perches from new cages and take them out of cage and go outside in backyard and find dead branches and simply clean them and cut them to fit. Greys love those types of perches and they're good for the feet. Those pictures are a small T Bar I made for a friend who was teaching his amazon to step up when it was very young. At the time, the bird was clumsy. There's certain items that can be made and the item will wind up be using for a multitude of things. Just remember that in the future you'll be saving lots of money. Pet stores love to rip people off and take advantage of people. Plus, that also goes for places online that sell bird products.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/30 20:02

Ah!! No offense taken at all Dave.:) I've discovered a while back that my parrots really enjoy the simple things too and couldn't care less how much an item cost my pocket book.. I wish I knew someone close by who knew how to work with wood! That would be so ideal!:)