NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Josh and Weasel

Ophee

So glad to have found this forum, I've been a bird lover for many years and after wanting to own a Grey for many many years I was offered a rescue through a friend who is a breeder.

Weasel came to me from a New York all the way to Oregon about 8 months ago, she was returned to a breeder by a gentleman whos wife apparently was jealous of the attention Weasel required and tormented Weasel until Weasel had plucked a good portion of her wings, her entire belly and neck down to bare skin. After being told of Weasel's condition I knew she would be a challenge and a huge commitment if she were to be saved from the destructive behavior. After nearly a year Weasel has ceased the majority of her plucking but unfortunately it seems she did it for long enough that nothing but down will grow on her stomach and even then she still has a bare patch of skin completely devoid of down or feathers. She was rather timid when I first got her but luckily she seemed to take a liking to me from the start and within a month had staked her claim on me. Within 3 months she scared the hell out of me one morning as I was leaving for work but saying "buh-bye!" in a distinctly female voice (She had not spoken until this point). To this day she still does not choose to speak often nor does she have an extensive vocabulary as she seems to prefer a wide variety of "sound effects" which is in and of itself rather amusing as her favorite noise is a burp.

Hello Josh and Weasel! It's great to see you on the forum, I am sure many of us will enjoy getting to know you (both) and have many fun stories to look forward to. Congrats to Weasel on finding a wonderful forever human, it sounds like you hit the jackpot! Josh, is sounds like you have a devoted companion and a huge heart. I wish you many happy decades of eachothers company.

Welcome Ophee and Weasel!!

It's GreYt having you here.

Thanks for sharing the background on Weasel and how much progress has been made under your care and affection. It's always good to see someone take in a rescue and show it how life can be in the right home.

Looking forward to hearing more and seeing some photos when you get a chance. :-)

Hello Josh and welcome to the family, so glad you found it in your heart to adopt this needy grey and we look forward to hearing more about you and Weasel.

Is Weasel her original name or did you rename her that? How cruel of that self centered wife of the former owner to treat her that way but at least one good thing came of it, now you finally have your grey.

Eight months is not really that long of a time and you have made great strides with her, some greys do not talk much or at all but they have so many other fine qualities that even if they never talk they are no less amazing.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love to see pictures of each other's greys here so if you have some of Weasel you would share with us we would love to see them.

judygram wrote:

Is Weasel her original name or did you rename her that?

Weasel is her original name, she was old enough and in pretty bad shape so I felt it would just further complicate her recovery to introduce a name change.

Hello Josh and Weasel. It is fantastic that you were able to give a loving home to a rescue Grey. I'm sure that things will go o improving. Welcome to both of you and I hope you find lots of useful information on her.