NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Made a decison today.

lovethatgrey

:blush: Now that I know that Emma is capable and willing to speak english, I have decided to start teaching her how to say my phone number starting tomorrow. I've heard of and read too many tragic stories of parrots being lost... I can't imagine what I would do if I ever lost my Emma. For sure there would be a huge void inside of me even though I have only known her since May 2008.

All I have to figure out now is how to ... interest her in wanting to repeat my phone #. :blush: :blush: Any ideas?

Guest jamalbirdbiz

I had Marvin and Molly micro chiped. Do'nt worry they r just birdz ---- itz not the mark of the beast that will soon coming to a town nere u.

Jamal

That is a great idea. Let us know if it works. I guess just repeat the numbers to her everyday. Or maybe put it on a recording machine. I did that with my moms grey, I recorded myself singing "Bad bird, bad bird, bad bird, whatcha guna do, whatcha guna do when I come for you" and i played it everyday for him and he says it great now. But this is how he says it "You have one new message, all message play back, Bad bird, bad bird, bad bird, whatcha guna do.. monday at 6:06pm" haha it is pretty funny!

I know you're excited about your bird talking and about it's amount of things it can possible say, I would rethink the decision to teach a bird a personal piece of info such as a phone#. First off, if your lost bird is actually found, it won't talk to strangers. The bird may have a traumatic experience occur before being captured making it more upset to people making it not want to talk even more.

The bird may give out numbers but in a different order if it gives them out at all.

You may change your # in the future but the bird won't forget those digits even though the # means nothing.

You may have heard horror stories about escaped birds but even the most popular device used is which is chipping doesn't have a high success rate unless a lost bird is actually brought to a place that can read a chip. The main thing to focus on right now is escape proofing your bird area to relieve your mind.

Finally, the owners of the extremely few birds that were actually recovered by repeating a phone # usually got a small article written about them in Birdtalk because it's rare that it works.

Daves right.

Micro-chipping works IF the bird is turned into a shelter or vet office that has a reader for that microchip type.

The best way to address this issue is as Dave said in being very care and conscious of doors, windows and not taking your bird out without a harness or in a carrying cage or pack.

If your bird does happen to escape, the best method of finding him/her is to watch where it went and go look for it immediately and if spotted do not leave or take your eyes off of it for even one second.

If you do not know where your grey flew or is then you must start calling all shelters, vet offices, posting flyer's everywhere and posting on Internet sites and hope for a call or email.

I agree with Dan & Dave. You couldn't ask for any better advice.

That being said, I DID teach Talon to say our phone number in 2 days. Of course it is a very easy number.....665-6652. I made the 2 sound very exciting, we would say TWO very high pitched! But she has stopped saying it, as I haven't continued to say it to her. So as far as changing your phone number, your bird could relearn a new one, even if she repeated 2 phone numbers, she has a chance of one of them working....:huh:

I really agree with the advice given by Dan and Dave. I think it is very important to get into the habit of checking all doors and windows before letting your bird out.

If however, you do decide to teach your phone number.....try singing it. I found that singing works really well with my bird.

I agree that it would be a 1 in a million chance to get your bird back that way but you never know and its worth it. your bird may be that 1 in a million. Why dont you try singing the numbers to her thats how I taught my kids their addresses and phone number when they where young,. if it has a rythum she may learn it easier

It goes without saying that I already always check the doors and windows. In fact it is a very automatic behaviour that I have.. I also do not take my parrots out unless in their Adventure pack. My parrots are really a very important part of my life. I feel that I must try everything in my power to assist my chances should I ever lose my parrot. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst therefore it could only be an added value for my Emma to know my phone number and my email address. It could come in handy but thanks for the feedback.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/22 16:39

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/22 16:43<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/22 16:44

well, I think that it can't hurt for her to know to say the phone number. in Dutch they say "if it doesn't help at least it doesn't hurt" - and I think that goes for this learning a phone number by heart as well.

Charlie is microchipped.I feel its my best chance of his return should the unthinkable ever happen.Atleast it is conclusive in proving ownership.Prevention is always better than cure though and all precautions must be taken to keep your bird safe.

I guess everyone here heard the story about the grey in Japan that was capture from a roof top and taken to the local vet. Once it calmed down and got used to the people at the vets office it gave it's owners name and street address and town. They looked it up in the phone book and reunited the parrot with it's owners.