NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm thinking about getting a AG parrot but...

Kipsie

I'm worried about the noise level. I'm old enough to get a job to care for one, but we have neighbors living closeby. Is the noise that they make completely unbearable? On a scale of 1-10, how bad is it? Are all AG's very noisy? Sqwaking in the morning is fine, but how are they at night? Thank-you.

-Kipsie

PS ... And the cage i'd use for the AG If I choose to get one is where my guinea-pigs live. I'll make the pigs another cage. It's 4 feet tall, 6 feet long, and 2 feet wide. Actually, I think it's a kennel (my dad bought it for 20 bucks! The 2nd level can be taken down. :laugh: ). Is the cage alright?

2009_0312oreosleeping0001.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Kipsie, at: 2009/03/17 06:31

i've heard that although greys are the best talkers they are also ones of the quietest, dont know if this is true.

Tigerlily isn't very loud but i live alone so the house is quiet, she has her moments when she flys around screeming the place down for what just appears to be for the fun of it but she also can spend hrs sat queitly ontop her cage playing with her toys.

the darker it gets the queiter she gets at the moment she goes to bed early, around 7:30 and i don't her a thing from her until about 6:00am.

the cage?

i'd buy a proper parrot cage on wheels, greys like 2b high up and chew everything, i don't think the guinnea pig cage will b quite up 2 the job.

there's a few posts in here with pics of peoples cages, check it out.

Greys are known for being one of the quieter parrots unlike cockatoos and macaws, even my sun conure is louder than my grey so noise is not a problem and once Josey goes to bed I don't hear a peep out of her all night.

You do need a proper parrot cage, I don't know what kind of metal is used in that cage you have but if it has any zinc in it you cannot use it for greys, it will poison them. You need a powder coated cage that is big enough for your bird to open its wings and flap without touching the sides.

Baxter is a pretty quiet bird. I think even if I lived in an apartment he would be fine. I don't think the neighbors would hear him and if they did it's just a few sound effects but no long lasting sounds that would get on anyones nerves in my opinion.

As for the cage, Judy is right. You do need to get a proper cage for a parrot. They can get metal poisoning and die from it. It is serious and can happen quickly. Powder coated cages are the way to go. They can be pricey though so check into before you get your grey.

My two Greys are quiet, I did have them when I was still in my apartment and my neighbors said they could not hear them.

Definitely get a proper parrot cage. The way I see it is that we (humans) have teken them out of the wild to be our companions, we owe it to them to provide them with a large enough cage.

My CAG is not a quiet bird at all. He is very vocal and loud from at 6:00am onwards, not continuously he will stop for some time then decide to start again. At night he hardly makes a sound. We live in a semi but thankfully the neighbours don't mind the noise.

Probably comes down to the individual Grey, also.

As has been said, Greys and all parrots for that matter need a proper, good quality, and spacious cage. There are many shapes and sizes available.

Tyco my Grey love to chatter and talk but she talks at the same level as you or I would so its not loud at all. I have had her for 1 1/2 years and I don't think I have ever heard her scream. My Amazons a whole different story even Tyco tells her to be quiet:laugh: If you can't afford a new cage check out the rescues in your area I got a beautiful huge Macaw size cage that was like brand new for 100. from a rescue near me. And the best part is that you would be helping the rescued birds because the money for the cage goes right back into the rescue. Just a thought.

Hi,

Ollie isn't really loud at all. He has a few minutes of really loud screeming a day, but mainly if he sees other birds in the garden. However, he does have his own agenda, and will talk and sing constantly.....even during your favourite TV program!!!! lol

Even though Ollie has his problems, I wouldn't be withou him.

Jenna is a quiet bird; she never screams and is not particularly loud, although she is certainly a little chatter box. I had an eclectus in the past, and HE could scream!!! One of the things that appealed to me about greys is that they are generally NOT screamers

:-)

Would it be better if the bird were to go cageless and we just have a stand? It could roam around the house... Well, come to think of it, that may not be a good idea... Sorry if i'm asking too many 'dumb' questions...

Okay, i'll get a cage first. I can't believe I never thought of that. I'm getting a job soon, and my parents won't help me with money issues, so it'll be a while before I can afford a cage. I'm planning on adopting a grey instead of buying one. I'll update you guys when I get my beautiful bird!

You are young and have plenty of time to save your money for the necessary things you will need when you get your grey and by then you will know all you need to know to properly care for your forever companion.

Stay in touch with us and ask all the questions you have, we are here any time for you.

Good for you, Kipsie, for being so open to learning and pacing yourself in your plan to adopt a grey. In fact: good for you for planning to adopt a grey - so many formerly-owned birds need good new forever homes!

You are going to make a great grey owner someday. And don't be a stranger until you actually have a bird - your interest alone makes you part of this family!