NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Decore around his cage?

JoeFree

I was wanting to get some decorations for around Joey's cage. It looks really bland and boring as you can see in the pic. I was thinking about getting some plastic foliage or trees or something. Not for him to play on, but just for ambiance. But I don't want to get anything hazardous or dangerous. Any advice on this at all would be great. I do plan on getting him a play tree, but I cannot find any locally. Looks like I might have to build one. Any advice on that would be great too. Joey7.jpeg

Joey7.jpeg

The fake trees are nice, but if you decide to go with a "Live" tree, you will need be sure it is not poisonous to your Grey.

The other thing you may not be aware of, is Greys are very fearful sometimes of new items. So placing something right next to the cage could make your Grey very uncomfortable. You'll know when he's afraid of something because he will either scream loudly or growl like a lion. :-)

Things need to be introduced to Greys slowly, sometimes sitting something several feet away and moving it closer and closer to the cage over days.

Dan is right on, greys are very cautious of anything new so introduce toys and such very slowly or you will hear that dreaded growl.

Greys don't care much about decor, as long as they have some toys, food and water they are pretty much satisfied but if you want to make the area around his cage to suit you that is fine but do it in stages and slowly.

I've seen some plastic wall "murals" that serve the dual purpose of sprucing up the area around your bird's cage and making it easy to clean up food that somehow gets splattered on your walls . . . I forget where I've come across them, though.

I have placed Ana Grey's toys and play things around her cage. Her cargo net, her ladder and chew toys. There is nothing around her cage that she can't safely chew on or put in her beak. Anything just for "looks" in my opinion would be just for you. If greys can't play with it, chew it or eat it I don't believe they really care about it.

I have a Doctors Foster and Smith catalog that has the wall murals in them. The web-site is DrsFosterSmith.com, they just have a couple but really cool looking. They also say they are easy to clean, had thought about getting them too, since my wall gets food thrown on it all the time!

No, they don't get tangled up - it actually is more spread out than what the pic shows.

Judygram - the BCV convention? Where is it going to be and when - I can try to find out if he will be there. I love to go to those and SHOP! :P

I have 3 planters 7x18" that I grow pet grass in, they are large enough that it takes Schroeder a week to destroy and when he has ruined one i cycle it out, re plant and put another on in. It takes about 3 weeks for the grass to grow so it works out. You can buy/order pesticide/chemical free potting soil at the nursery and the seeds are 2 bucks a bag and it takes 3 per planter, so cost is about 6 bucks a week after the initial investment of 4 dollars a pot and 12 dollars for the soil

I've always live house palms around Bella and Jiggy's cages. Bella likes to actually sit on them :laugh: In fact, she kept chewing off one of the branches, but one day chewed the branch she was sitting on and promptly landed on her red feathered tush!