NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just joined after my Grey died

poochbabe

Hello all. Two weeks ago my beloved Grey and all my cockatiels died in a tragic PTFE accident due to a faulty oven liner that must have had some teflon like chemical in it. After cooking dinner in the oven I noticed by Ruben swoon and grabbed her quickly and rushed to animal emergency. She died in my hands on the way. I came home to find my 'tiels all dead on the bottom of their cages.

Most importantly I want to make sure EVERYONE knows that ALL ALL ALL non stick products are potentially deadly to your birds. I had the liner in my oven for over a year and that last time was the time it got overheated enough to kill them in 20 minutes. The companies won't disclose that PTFE content on their packaging or their websites so DON'T trust the "safe up to 550 degrees" or some such bull. I did and I lost my best friend.

I want to report that I rescued a baby Grey yesterday that had been sold to a family and they returned him five days later completely plucked out on the butt and wings. They claimed that something is "wrong with him". The breeder was going to put him in the sanctuary since no one would buy him so I offered her what the avian rescue charges for their Greys and she gladly accepted because she loves this little guy/girl and wanted to see him/her in a good home. I have named him/her Ganesha, the Hindu elephant god that is good luck and abundance. I have been sitting with him on the couch all evening and he even shared my vegetable potstickers! He is a delight and I have felt happier than I have for many weeks now. I need to try to turn the plucking around but Ruben plucked out in the same pattern for the five years I had her and the five years prior to my adopting her. She got better and then I would go away for a few days or just ignore her a bit too much and she was bald again.

No matter, I am so happy to report that I am again the proud mother of a 9 mo. old Grey...

Hello Poochbabe and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Ganesha. That is a lovely sounding name.

I am so sorry about your other grey and birds that died due to teflon and we here are all aware of that danger and rid our house of all teflon products.

I am so glad you could open your heart to another grey who was in need of a good home, not everyone could see the beauty of this precious baby but I have high hopes you will be able to reverse this plucking.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Ganesha you would like to share with us we would love to see her.

Thanks Judy. I realized that the only photo I have available of the new kid is on my computer at work. I will transfer it tomorrow and post it.

"Nesh" is already totally comfortable with being in the living room on the stand and watching tv with me. Last night I left him in his cage and spent some time in that room just being with him. I put a small tv in the room and a cd player with a cd of bird songs. He has been in a bird shop all his life and I thought he wouldn't feel so lost and lonely when I was gone to work for a few hours. I also put some long door mirrors up on two sides of the cage against the walls so he can see other Greys like he is used to. Tonight we have just been hanging out and he is sitting with one foot up and his eyes closed next to the couch even with my dogs sitting with me on the couch. He just seems so easy going for a new baby. he makes me smile...I will always miss my Rubes but he is helping to heal my heart.

Thats great to hear he is settling in so nicely and very quickly at that, it usually takes a while for a grey especially one that has already been in one home before and then back to the breeders, you must be doing something right.

Yes you will always miss Rubes but she is flying free over the Rainbow Bridge now and Ganesha has got a hold of your heart now because you have much love to give.

Hi poochbabe, congratulations on finding Ganesha to help you recover from your loss of Ruben. I know nothing can compensate for the loss of a wonderful companion but Ganesha needs you and you have given him a loving forever home. Hope to see a picture or two of Ganesha soon. Please keep us posted on him progress. Welcome to the family.

Welcome, poochbabe - and what a mix of sad and happy stories you have brought with your arrival! I am so sad to hear of your loss of Ruben and the 'tiels, but so happy to hear about Ganesha - he sounds just wonderful, and I am so happy for HIM that he fell into your lap. We'll look forward to seeing pictures of the little guy when you have a chance!<br><br>Post edited by: LindaMary, at: 2009/02/27 14:31

Welcome Poochbabe!!

It's GreYt having you here. :-)

What a roller coaster of a story. Saddening, but then with a touching new beginning.

Thanks for sharing the dangers of Teflon used in or on anything. It just can not be stressed enough that it is NEVER safe.

Looking forward to hearing updates on you new rescue. :-)

To answer you question, an oven liner is a sheet that you can buy or in my case get as a gift that goes in the bottom of your oven to catch the spills and drips so they don't burn onto the bottom of the oven surface. It is supposed to be safer and cut down the indicence of oven fires. I got one the Xmas before last and have had it in the oven for all this time. Apparently they can get compromised and burn at any time and are made with PTFEs, which is the toxic component in teflon. How I wish that I had know that now or that the company had posted some kind of warning on their package and/or website...

Thanks for sharing this sad yet happy story! That is so nice of you to rescue Ganesha! My biggest fear is losing my grey and I am happy that you shared this information because I didn't know what over liners were or what they could do. Thank god I don't have any! Does anyone know if the teflon pans are just as bad? Should I throw them completely away and get them out of my house?

Welcome here Poochbabe, I'm glad you've joined the forum. It's so sad that you lost your entire flock due to that accident with the oven liner. I'm glad you shared your story with us and maybe it will save the life of some other birds whose owners read your post. I can tell you have lots of love to share with Ganesha, thank you for rescuing a bird that really needed you.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm realy glad you have joined the forum. Thank you for sharing your story, which I found really sad......but with a happy ending for you and your new baby.

It is good. I think for us all to have the occasional reminder of things like teflon.

I hope that you make many new memories with your new friend.