NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The search is on!!!!

jasperk

I have got the ok and not just the "ok hunny i guess if thats what you really want." no i got the exited "ok hunny lets see what we can find." so im finaly starting my search for an african grey i just e-mailed my first breeder and im so exited. but im keeping in mind that i need to find the "right" grey. but yay my first grey!!!!!!!!!!!!:unsure: :woohoo: :laugh: :cheer: :blush:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a ferm believer that you just get a feeling and know thats the one.Just make sure you find a good breeder and if possible visit your new bird as it grows so you have a sort of bond before it comes home. A good breeder will welcome this.

I agree even though Tyco was rescued I knew right away she was the bird for me. she would pace back and forth and strech her neck towards me she let me kiss her on the beak and rub her beak and that was more than she let anyone do. Maybe she scenced that I was going to take her out of the hell hole she was living in I don't know I like to think that it was love at first sight:laugh:

Good luck finding your new bird... and I agree with everyone else.. your bird will find you... ours did... we had look at birds, talked about getting one, seen several, and one day we was in big town, stopped at the pet shop and walked in... the pet lady was holding charlie, my husband put his finger up and charlie stepped right up... Charlie climbed up to his shoulder and started nibbling on his ear... Bob was in love... wouldnt put charlie back.. we brought him home with us... and he is the greatest..

This is so exciting and I am so happy for you! I agree with everyone as far as finding the right one. Try real hard as Judygram said to find a place where you can go and visit as often as possible. I did that with Bingo for about a month or so before I actually bought him home, and I think the visits helped alot. He was not a baby, he is 8, but the stress of a new place and surroundings is alot for them. At least he was familiar with me settled in nicely. Best of luck to you and keep us posted! ;)

the only breeder i could find is around four hours away but i have family in the area which means that we will take road trips at least once a week when he has the babys if this is the breeder we choose. but i know its importand to see the birds as their growing and would not want to miss anything so no matter what well make it work:)

I wasn't able to find a breeder anywhere near my area, either, so I had no choice but to to with a breeder elsewhere and have the bird shipped. Luckily all turned out well, but I think you'll enjoy being able to pick out your own AG so much more than picking one up from the airport! Good luck to you!

I'm not much for breeders.. :unsure:

Even though it's rare to find a Grey at a rescue, check your local rescues. There are tons of adult birds in need of a loving home. We rescued Mischief when she was 8 years old and now I can't imagine living at home without her! We searched for about a year before we found Mischief. She is our little shining star! Good luck on your search, and be patient because you'll know the perfect Grey when you meet him/her.

ok let me clarify that the reason my parents didnt want me to rescue is because im only 16 so im still in school but im home schooled so i have plenty of time and attention to give to a bird theyr just worried that if i rescued i wouldent be able to re train it.

ok let me clarify that the reason my parents didnt want me to rescue is because im only 16 so im still in school but im home schooled so i have plenty of time and attention to give to a bird theyr just worried that if i rescued i wouldent be able to re train it.

jasperk, time is time. whether you spend the time on a chick or you spend the time on a resuce you will spend the time.

it is all what you are called to do. if you are a rescue person, that will be apparent to you with a little reflection.

thank you for considering rescue. there are many many very worthy birds our there that could flourish under your care. please do not rule it out. it all winds up to be the same committment in the end. with a lifespan of 50-75 years, you are signing on for a big commitment which you already know.

i myself (as i am sure you can ascertain) am a resue person. the challenges and rewards are wonderful as well as heartbreaking, but i would not have it any other way. to give my little ones a loving home and all the pleasure and enrichment i can is a calling that cannot be minimized.

not to mimimize those who patronize a breeder. if you are a loving parront, i salute you.

keep us posted as to your progress, and if you should want to pursue rescue, i welcome your PM to me. no judgement, not pressure, just an open door.

-s

so i was looking around on craigslist and i think i found a bird its only 3 1/2 hours away from my home. im just waiting to find out if the lady will take my offer. but this is so exiting icoul have a grey in 10 days. yay.:cheer: :woohoo: :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...

ok so the bird in my last update did not work out. the women decided that she didnt want to part from her bird so this left me. back at square one when i walked into this "pet store"i only call it that for lack of a better word its a man and his wife who love animals and take in animals and then sell them to the people the birds pick. so we walk in and of course i go to the birds first well sitting in her cage is emmashe a beautiful CAG the first thing she did was imitate running water than she put her claw up like she was trying to step up and when she figured out that this wouldnt work she put her head down for me to pet i was thrilled when i found out that that was the first time in the year and a half that he had seen her go to a person like that(other than him) so iv made up my mind that as soon as i can get the money i will be going back and picking her up. and i cant wait.