NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sad, disgusted and angry

Char

As some of you might have read in previous posts I am looking to get another bird. I visited a breeder/birdstore today in a neighboring town.

I was shocked and saddened by the conditions the birds were living in. It was filthy and disgusting. She apparently breeds greys and also buys older birds and resells them. She had several large macaws, a red front macaw, some conures and a couple of greys.

The cages were caked in poop an inch thick. The bottom of the cages had sunflower seed hulls an inch thick with the grate right on top of it and the smaller birds were digging through this mess. The water was filthy in every cage. I saw a few pellets but mostly sunflower seeds.

But worst of all they were smoking in this confined area with the birds. The smoke was thick in the room.

She sells most of them online and ships so most people will never know the conditions the bird was living in.

I was so upset when I left that I called my vet's office to see who I would report this to. They said to call the Humane society of that county but since Estill county is a small backward county sadly they would probably not do anything. They suggested that I take some pictures and send them to the television station but I don't think they would let me do that as she could tell I was put off when I was there because I made some comments about the conditions.

There was this one little female grey, 4 yrs old that had only been there for 3 weeks. She is the tiniest CAG I have every seen. Wild eyed and clinging to the cage bars. She looks really good despite the conditions. I cannot get her out of my mind. I keep seeing those wild panicky eyes and I want to cry every time I think about it.

I was not looking to get another Grey, especially one that has problems but I want to go back there and get her.

I know I should not buy a bird living in those conditions. She could have any kind of disease and I could risk the health of my baby. But I can't stop thinking about her. Her prices are top dollar for this area too.

So please talk some sense into me before I go back there.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/02/21 13:54

That is sad and infuriating.:angry:

But, to save you from yourself and just offer some thoughts...

You presently have a new Grey that needs your undivided attention. Taking in another at this time that would require even more attention and care due to it's living conditions, possible health problems and baggage from previous owners is just not something that would seem to fit your present situation.

The best thing you could do, which would help ALL those birds and not just the Grey, would be to turn that place in. You may not think the local yokels will care. But, in my experience, people that work in animal control and SPCA fields have a BIG heart for all critters and are horrified when they see living conditions as you describe.

You do not need pictures to report that place. Believe me, the people you report it to will take those themselves as evidence. The first thing they will do, is give that person X number of days to clean up the act, unless they deem it such horrific conditions that they just call in to get a court order and confiscate those birds that day.

Sometimes the timing is just not right to rescue a critter we see in conditions like that. But, there is always the most important option that all of us can do and that is to take action and notify the authorities and track the progress of it. If locals will not respond, then take it to county or state and they will.

I had a Doberman yesterday that needs rescue come through due to the owners getting a divorce and they are both moving into separate apartments of which neither allows pets. They were going to take the only path which was take him to the animal shelter which is full and just putting them to sleep if not selected in 7 days by someone.

My present situation does not allow me to bring in a Male Doberman that would want to fight mine over who the alpha is. So I called another Doberman rescue 30 miles away and got him in there.

The thing is, there are always options and things you can put into action to help whether directly or indirectly being involved yourself. The key is to do something!! :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/02/21 15:19

Oh I am going to do something. I was just waiting to see what I decided about that little Grey. You are right I do not need a rescue but just could not get her out of my mind. I did not feel that way about any of the other birds there. Don't get me wrong I felt terrible for all of them but that little Grey with her wild eyes just touched my heart. Maybe because I know how sensitive Greys are and how bad she must feel in those conditions.

I am calling the Humane Society now.

Good for you Char, that is exactly what you should do, those poor birds deserve nothing less.

You do need to concentrate on your new grey, Whisper for she has to be your first priority. I know those wild eyes of that scared grey cut right to your heart strings but face it, we all can't save every bird out there that needs a new home or touches our soft spot.

Please let us know what you find out and I hope you can start what is needed to get this person out of business.

I called their local Humane Society but they are not open on Saturdays so I will call back Monday and I will let them know that I am going to also report it to the ASPCA and will be following up to make sure something is done.

I know we can't save them all. I can't help but wonder if the people who gave up their older birds to her realize or care what kind of conditions they sent them to. Heaven help the poor people who buy these birds online without ever seeing where they come from.

This is my second negative experience lately that I again hope serves as a lesson to someone else. This lesson is never buy a bird unless you can see the conditions in person.

She had a young baby male Grey there that was just about finished weaning that she said someone in Louisville bought. Louisville is only 2 hrs from her I hope the person checks it out first.

Surprisingly the birds themselves did not look bad but we all know how well birds can hide things until it is too late.

You may be suprised but birds are very hardy and can live in those conditions for a long time and still remain very healthy. I know this to be true because I bought Tyco and she had been living in conditions exactly to what you dicribed for 2 yrs. and of course I took her to the vet before I even brought her home. She was a little low on calcium and vitiman a but other than that she was in perfect health. With any luck those birds are going to good homes quickly and do not have to live in those conditions for very long.

I am surprised you could not contact a humain society on a Saturday. Do not buy a bird from this person,that bird would only be replaced by another,very fast.Just report this place and perhaps highlight it to local media so other people are aware of the conditions.I am sorry to say I have not always practiced what I preach,I bought Cracker my tiel from a far from perfect pet shop,They even told me he was weaned when he was not properley eating enough.It is so hard not to want to take them out of a bad situation.

Yes I agree with Sheila if you buy a bird from her you are only anableing her to keep doing what she is doing. I bought Tyco privatley and she was the only bird he had I have no Idea how she survived for 2 years like that Its a miracal that she was healthy. The guy who had her locked her in a back room in a cockateil size cage with a heavy blanket over her cage most of the time. I don't think her cage was ever cleaned he said he hated her and she was a bird from hell that did nothing but make allot of noise and bite every chance she got. so he never gave her a chance to bite him he just locked her up and ignored her. poor baby lived like that for a very long time as far as I was concerned someone should have done the same thing to him just to show him what its like. I still to this day get so angry when I think about it so I know exactly how you feel. In Tyco's case the guy who owned her was a crack head so he wasn't in his right mind anyway.:angry:

Sadly, in the USA people have a pretty wide berth to put birds into conditions that most of us would find deplorable. Breeders are especially unregulated, and good conduct depends on the conscience of the individual. There are laws against "cruelty" to animals, but go to a chicken factory farm sometime and see how that works out. Pet stores may be regulated by licencing requirements and sanitation standards, but check out Petco and Petmart and you'll see that standards are not very high (and they have cleaned up their act due to pressure from groups like PETA and the fact that they are big corporations in the public eye).

DO complain to the authorities, but in the long run it will take a lot of education, a change in the culture and -- perhaps -- very strict controls on the breeding and the guardianship of parrots and other "exotics."

dhorje wrote:

I am surprised to hear there is such a filthy a pet shop in your country. I thought it happens only in third world countries like mine.

I am afraid not. It is located in a very small rural town. Very redneck. Ignorance rules in some of these places. That is one reason my vet says she doesn't think the Humane Society there will do anything. But I am hoping for the best.

I am calling tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted.

DavidH wrote:

There are laws against "cruelty" to animals, but go to a chicken factory farm sometime and see how that works out.

I know what you mean. I was traveling on the interstate one day near Thanksgiving. I saw a truck load of turkeys go by with crates stacked in an OPEN bed truck. They were packed in there like sardines. The temp was about 36 degrees but you can imagine the will chill going down the highway at 75 mph. The poor creatures feathers were nearly all blown off and they must have been freezing.

I know they have to go to slaughter but do they have to suffer on the way there? I tried to catch up with the truck to see a company name so I could call them to "discuss" it but couldn't as my exit came up too quickly.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/02/22 18:25

I also am looking forward to hearing what the humane sociaty has to say. I know a breeder that. Lives close to me. To me its more Like a bird mill its very dirty and the poop is cakes on all the cages none of the cages have perches so the birds have to hang onto the side of the cages and in some of cages there is so many bird in tiny cages I don't know how they all fit. I call the Spca on her and nothing much happened except that she had to make sure that all the cages had at Least 1 perch so that the birds could rest. I was so upset its like birds are on the bottom of the list when it comes to haveing decent living conditions. If it was cats or dogs instead of birds she would have been closed down in a second.

Wow! Char, your story really touched me, because not only am I in Louisville and couldn't find a breeder near me, but I bought a Grey sight unseen through a breeeder in Georgia. I'm glad and very lucky that my little CAG is as healthy and happy as she is! I hope that ASPCA does something about that pet shop, it sounds just horrible. But I'm like you, I'd of bought that little wild eyed baby up so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore....I know, that's not what you need to hear right now! :whistle:

Well, to tell you the truth she did not start to haunt me until I got home. It is too late now. I called the Estill Co. Humane society today and this is how it goes:

The lady who works there seemed symapthetic. She said she has to call the State Police and they go out and investigate and call her if they feel it is needed.

She told me in a small town everyone knows everybody and it works better if the state police are involved because they are not biased.

She also said that they are a small county facility and do not have the resources to house the birds.

she will need people to foster them. I called my vets office and they said if needed they have a network of foster parents they can call. I don't think they will seize the birds because they themselves don't look sick but hopefully they will make her clean the place up.

Lets hope that the state trooper who goes out there will be sympathetic and intelligent about the needs of birds. You know how it is. A lot of people think birds are just nasty.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/02/23 19:48