NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage Heater???

Sallas

Hello all, I have been debating getting a cage heater. I live in Wisconsin and depending on the weather outside our house can get cool (Even though since we got the birds we keep the temp at 72 degrees). So I thought about getting a couple items to help my little loved ones.

First of all I am looking at a heat panel. I found what looks like a good unit made by AviTech, but I want to see if any of you have them or know someone who does. I would like to know how well they work, reliability, etc...

Here is a link http://www.avitec.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IHP

I hope someone out there has one of these to give me a review on them.

The other item I want to get for them is a heated perch. I am hoping that you all can point me in the direction of a good heated perch. The couple I have found online look like the perch part is plastic which I would think would be slippery. I was hoping for a heated perch that is also the rough (concrete, sand paper, gravel, etc..) style that will help keep their nails trimmed up. Anyone know of a decent model heated perch like I am looking for?

Hi Sallas, I have a heated perch in Taccos cage and he likes it very much he usually stands on it when he goes to sleep at night. It is plastic but its hard plastic and made that way so the bird won’t break it or chew it. I live in Greece and I got it on line from the states, [eBay] so I guess you will be able to find what you want much easier than me .The temperature the heated perch has when it is on is the same as the birds, so when they feel cold they go and stand on it.When I first placed it in the cage Tacco didn't realy like it but when winter came he got to love it.oh! by the way it is a bit slippery so I have placed a wooden perch on top of the heated perch the results are the same. Be sure to get the right size for your bird though.I hope I was able to help you a little maybe someone else in the forum knows more to tell you.

Nasy

If your bird is in constant or general 72 degree surrounding temperature, you'd only be hurting your bird by raising the temp especially with a heater in their area. The cooler air is much better for a grey then very warm air. A humidifier is fine as long as the temp stays in that general 72 degree temp.