NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG chewing on clothing!

PekingeseMama

Hi all! I'm new to this wonderful group and I wondered, does anyone else have any issues with their CAG chewing on their shirts while being held? My CAG loves to sit on my shoulder. While I'm completely fine with this, I wish my shirts didn't end up with holes all around my shoulder! Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get her to stop chewing on me? Thank you in advance!;)<br><br>Post edited by: PekingeseMama, at: 2009/02/04 19:09

Oh yesssssss!! Alcazar chewed up some good shirts of my son's.Couple Ambercrombes and more.He tends to do this w/my son.No one else.I told my son its his Nautica cologne.He needs to stop bathing in it then maybe Alcazar will stop chewing his shirts.

A favorite is going after the bra straps and yes sometimes she gets a little flesh with it.:pinch:

My sun conure is the one who chews holes in my T-shirts as she spends a lot of the time out of her cage on me and I have some with holes in some embarrassing places.

There is no way to stop her from chewing on your clothing just like there is no way to stop a bird from picking at ear lobes or jewelry or hair or other visible skin. As opposed to other birds, your bird is a chewer when she's up there and the onl;y way to stop it is by keeping her off your shoulder. Many birds do as yours does and many don't.

My TAG doesn't chew on my clothes but because she uses her beak to get from place to place on my body, from floor to leg, from lap to shoulder, etc. I have holes in my pants legs and shirts. I never wear anything I really love when she is out of her cage, which is usually always. I wear old jeans, sweats or tee shirts, which now have lots of ventilation for that cool look!

Our routine is as soon as I get home I change into old pajamas or t-shirts. There are buttons missing from all my pajamas. The best thing I have found is distraction. And yeah she can feel that little plastic hook on the front of my bra strap and digs after it like she looking for gold. Ouch!

I save plastic tops from milk jugs and stuff like that and give it to her when she starts. A piece of paper works too.

As soon as I get home I change into old clothes before I even let the birds out for what I wear to work may be nice sweaters and I don't want them chewed up or pulled.

Josey also likes playing with the colored tops off of soda bottles, she has quite a colorful assortment.

Yes, I believe most of us have or "Go out in public" and "Stay at home Parrot chewing" clothes.

One trick I have learned my wife was pulling though, is "Oh look, darn he just chewed a hole through my nice blouse, now I need a new one!".

So watch out for this one guys.... ;-)

I've noticed Dorian chews when he is frightened, like with a vet visit. If he's wrapped in a towel he'll chew it, or if there's a lot of activity around him, like when my brother and a friend moved our HUGE broken freezer out of the basement, he'll chew on the supreme rope on his swing. It seems to be a way of self-soothing for him.

I'll bet we all have grey friendly clothes. I hope the day Publishers Clearing House shows up on my door with a huge cheque I'm wearing my 'be seen in public' clothes:silly:

I have an old sweater that I wouldn't be caught dead in outside its beige and it has fake fur around the neck and sleeve. All my birds just love it so I wear it when its time to spend time with them and they can do what ever they want and I don't have to worry about them wrecking something that I like to wear. Gizmo is the only real chewer I have and your right it hurts when they get skin along with the sweater. Thank goodness it doen't happen all the time.