NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Male or Female....I have no idea

maceygrey

Ok guys ...Hi all

I have an AG I took on about 2 years ago....I think she is about 3. The thing is I am unsure as to wheather or not she is a she or a he. She / he took to me straight away and hates males.

She is a small CAG compared to others I have seen and very pretty I know this doesnt matter but I have no idea if I have a boy or a girl.

I would like to get tested but getting a blood feather is proving very difficult...can anyone help?

Thanks x

It's likely to be either male or female but why does it matter to you?:)

Are you intending to breed your parrot ?

I suspect that Maceys dislike of men is more likely due to formative experiences

with human males than Maceys own sex.

I was told that my Misty was male when he came to me at two years old and I suspect that he is because he is so untidy and makes a lot of sense when he talks;)

But I don't know for sure and to be honest I don't care because Misty would still be Misty what ever.

If you must know take Macey to an avian vet . I understand that pulling blood feathers can be both painful and risky.

Steve n Misty

If you want to DNA test your grey without the aid of a vet, you can get a kit from Avian BioTech.com. Their website gives information on the procedure. You can pluck a few feathers or use a blood sample. They will send either kit free but there is a fee for the test and a certificate of the testing is returned with the results. They also e-mail results within the week. I DNAd my grey because I just wanted to know if I was right that she was a female and I was right.

I wanted to know about the sex right away. I wanted to know so I could name Tobie appropriately and also just because dogs birds or just friends I relate to a little differently according to the sex whether I'm aware of it or not. I let the vet take a blood sample by nail clip on his first visit to the vet. Apparently it was no big deal because it took only a second and Tobie didn't seem distressed at all.

I do the DNA tests at my work and the nail clipping for the blood sample isn't as bad as what people would think. I also prefer the blood to the feather test because I don't think I could pluck a bunch of feathers off a birds chest...clipping a nail a little short seems less stressful to me.

I will probably have the vet do the test this week.

I only care because it's awkward to talk about (and to) him/her with an ambiguous gender. We speak four languages in this household and in a lot of instances you have to make a gender assumption. For example, do I say Hola guapo (male) or hola guapa (female)?