NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Potential baby grey!

cf737

Hello everyone!

It's very nice to meet you all! I'm really excited to have found this forum.

I am thinking about getting an African Grey and have lots of questions. I am currently a student - however I have a ton of experience with pets. I have a little parrotlet, Sprite, whom I absolutely adore. I'm looking for something bigger and a little calmer than a Macaw or otherwise.

I am planning on taking this next year off from school and with that, think it would be a perfect time to get a little bird to bond with. I'll have plenty of time to be at home and look after him/her.

However, I need to think about more of a long term commitment. I was wondering if Greys can bond with two or three people. While I'm in class during the day, my mother would be at home to keep the Grey happy. After spending most of his time with me, would a Grey be comfortable in this situation?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! This is a very serious decision and I want to be as in-the-know as possible.

Thanks again!:)

Hello Cf737 and welcome to the family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your quest to own a grey.

Yes this will be a lifetime committment as a grey can live for 50+ years and you need to be absolutely sure this is what you want before you go out there and purchase it. You are doing the right thing in asking questions and getting as much info so you can make an informed decision.

Greys are known for bonding with just one person but there are a lot of members who have greys that get along with many family members. The relationships with multiple people may be different for each one but if you and your mom take an active role in the every day life and caring for your grey then of course it can work out nicely.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so read thru them at your leisure and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Welcome CF737!!

It's wonderful to see your are researching before buying and asking all the right questions. :-)

Greys do, as other Parrots require atleast 3 to 4 hours a day of one on one time out of the cage with their flock at home. They thrive in a stimulating environment.

Your plan of being home constantly for the first year sounds like a good one. Your Grey will settle in with the flock living at home and as long as you have your Mother also take part from the get go in the feeding and care of your grey, there should be no problems when you must spend hours in school each day again.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Thank you for the encouragement - I really appreciate it. The owners of a local bird store that I have visited a few times are not so encouraging, to be honest. I feel too intimidated to ask them questions which, in turn, makes me question myself and my ability to take care of an African Grey. It's nice to hear some positive words as I am very excited to have a potential companion bird.

I have a few more questions, but first of all is this the place to post them?

Thanks again!

Some people are just like that so don't take it personally, I think if you know in your heart that you really want one and you find out all you can before you make that final decision then you need not question your ability to take care of a grey.

The questions you have for us post them in the appropriate room as we have many rooms, for instance if it is about foods post it in the bird food room and so on.

Hi df737, welcome to the family. I did a lot of research before I got my baby grey two months ago and believe me it was well worth it. You are doing the right thing to join a grey forum to see what is involved with owning a grey. What kind of grey are you looking for, a Congo or a Timneh, older grey or a baby grey? Whatever you decide, you have come to a great place to learn about greys. Hope to hear more from you and please ask any questions you have, everyone will try to help you in anyway possible.

Hi. I think the fact that you are taking the decision to own a grey very seriousley makes you a great person for grey ownership. As long as you look to the long term future and accept the grey will be part of your life through many life changes,marrage,children,new home ect I see no problem.I think a grey will accept your mum very well as part of the flock as long as she and other family members take an active role in its day to day life.Good luck in your quest and I look forward to hearing more about you and the potential new grey.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/01/25 16:58

We just got out baby and I have to say it is a wonderful experience and this from a less than perfect pet person - our Pogo has already begun to bond with his new family in this first week in our house. Personally I am excited about finding this site and look forward to getting more advice as our house moves forward with our new family member. :-)

Here some of the scenarios that can happen:

1) Grey bonds with you and Mom

2) Grey bonds more with you, but tolerates Mom

3) Grey bonds with you, doesn't like Mom

4) Grey bonds more with mom, but tolerates you

5) Grey bonds with mom, doesn't like you

Most likely would probably be 1, 2 or 4. There are many variations and degrees of "bonding" also. Just wanted you to think through these various things and how you (and your mom) would be able to handle them.

Funny thing about Greys is that you can't determine ahead of time who they are going to bond to. They sometimes will even pick the person who wants the least to do with them! Babies are usually pretty good with a wider variety of people but then they get more selective as they get older. A few people have had them stay great with a variety of people so that can happen, but I think it's less frequent.

There are many people who have a Grey who will only let one person in the family really handle him/her. Being away during the day at school isn't a big deal though as many of us work full-time outside the home. It's just very important that you spend time in the evenings and weekends with them.

I agree with others in believing that if someone cares enough to do their due diligence in researching ahead of time, they will be better prepared and will have made a good decision on whether a Grey would be the right parrot for them (and whether they should look for a baby or and adult, etc.).

Look forward to reading more of your questions.

Lisa

I appreciate your support everyone!

I am looking at a Timneh. A breeder close to where I live has six babies right now. She has encouraged me to choose a baby and help in the weaning process.

Would you suggest male or female? Is there much of a difference?

Hi cf737! Welcome to the forum. It's really great you are considering the future and what will happen to your grey when you go back to school. Even if your mom doesn't want to handle your grey, having her in the same room with him will keep him company when you aren't around.

As far as male or female, either would be great. Each bird is an individual and will have it's own personality. I'd say, visit the babies and see if one of them choses you! Let us know how things go!

cf737: These folks have given you all the right advice and things to contemplate, so the decision is now yours. Good to be involved in the weening process. One of the birds may choose you instead of you doing the choosing.

We look forward to your decision and getting to know you further.

Bruce & Mazy

I'm glad you have a local breeder so you could visit and be involved in the weaning process. I would recommend, however, that you don't take a baby home until it is fully weaned though. Though it may seem pretty easy when you're there at the breeder, so many things can, and do, go wrong and it's really best left to the "professionals". It will only be a small delay in when you could take the baby home, but in the overall 50-60 years you will have him/her, a month or two won't make a difference. Bruce is right, if you spend some time with the breeder it's likely one of the little darlings will choose you! :-)

Lisa