NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new baby grey

flyrod

hello,I hope you may be able to help me or have some advice.My little one was hatched on 1/18/09.We are so excited.The breeder is letting us bring him/her home at about 4 week old.So we will be hand feeder.I have never hand feed a bird before ,and from what I have read on the foruns ,its doesn't seem to be for novest.Is it really that hard .Should I try to get him to keep our baby longer.He has been breeding greys for about 45 years ,so I know he knows what he is talking aboutwhen he tells us its not hard to hand feed.Please if you can help or have any advice please write.thank you if you can help. chris

Chris in my opinion it would be best to leave the hand feeding to the breeder and wait until your baby is weaned before bringing it home especially since you have never done this before. There are things that can go wrong and I would hate to see anything happen to your new baby.

He probably thinks there is nothing to it but he has been doing it for 45 years and you have not done it at all. Other members here will say pretty much the same as we all feel that getting an unweaned bird is not for the novice.

Are you getting the baby for less money if you get it at 4 weeks as opposed to waiting until it is weaned?

Although I've never had a baby grey...only an adult, I would never consider bringing home one that young. I'm sure others on here would tell you to let someone (the breeder) with experience feed your baby grey. The crop must not be too empty or too full, so it's best to be patient and wait to bring it home. I won't hurt your little one to get a little socialization with its clutch mates before bringing it home.

Thanks for replying ,I kind of was feeling the same way about letting the baby stay longer .No the price is the same .He probably wants to let the baby go at that age because its one less bird he has to feed .But he did say if we didn't feel comfortable taking him at that age we could let him stay longer. again thank you.

If the price is the same then by all means let the breeder do the handfeeding and wean it before you bring it home, that way you know your baby has been given the best possible start in life.

Will you be going to look at your new baby, if so please take a few pics and share them with us so we can see it, we love to see the babies, they are so adorable when they are that young.

That is a myth Chris, my Josey bonded to me and I didn't get her until after she was weaned and I know some people that handfed their greys and they didn't bond any better than the ones that didn't. It will be the love and attention you give that baby when you bring it home that will bring your baby to trust you and that in turn leads to forming the bond.

Here's the story on bonding and hand feeding. A parrot in the wild will be fed by it's parents. When it is ready, it stops accepting feedings from mom and dad and breaks away from the family in order to find a group of juveniles to hang out with and eventually will find a mate. So, a baby bird will often NOT bond with the hand feeder as that person is viewed as the parent whom the bird would naturally break away from in the wild. Make sense? Also, I have been training for the past 2 months at my job on hand feeding baby birds. It is not difficult to actually feed the birds, but there are many, many risks involved. The formula can be too hot and burn the crop. It can be too cold and cause an infection in the crop. You can easily push the formula into the wrong pipe and aspirate the bird. If that happens, there's nothing you can do but hold your baby bird while it drowns in your arms. So, I'd say, let the breeder hand feed and then take the baby home! It will work out much better for you!

Kenya joined my family when she was 12 years old. Max at eight and Katie at 3.5. I think Max pretty much bonded by the time we finished the 45 minute drive home :) . Kenya took about a week to really warm up (let me skritch her head at least). Katie - about 2 days.

So, I think no matter what age they are when you get them, they can sense that you are safe and secure and will bond rather quickly. There can be exceptions, particularly if they're coming from a bad/abusive/neglectful environment...that can take a lot longer. You're not in that situation though so I'd say keep the baby with the breeder until fully weaned, then bring him home and enjoy the heck out of him! :)

Lisa

in my opinion no bird should be released to anyone until its at least 12 weeks old let the breeders keep the birds afterall they are responcible for bringing it into this world and it should have the best start in life i.e. it must be fully weaned its a big risk because if you get it wrong im sure the breeder will say you took it your responcability then 1 A new life could be cut short god forbid and 2 you have wasted you cash :)

Flyrod,

The others have given you great advice.

You are making a very wise decision in letting the breeder do the hand feeding. At four weeks old, a baby Grey not only needs handing feeding by a person qualified to perform it. They also need a brooder they must by kept in at a constant temperature and humidity. If not, they will most likely die.

I am surprised the breeder even offered to let that baby come to you unweaned if he is a responsible and caring breeder. Your suspicion is probably correct on the thought of it would be less work for the breeder.

Many states have passed laws that make it illegal to sell a bird unweaned.

Just an FYI - Most birds are not fully weaned until 16 - 20 weeks old. Do not let the breeder send that baby home at 8 weeks saying it is weaned. ;-)

Let the breeder wean the baby, he shouldnt be letting the baby go that young to someone who has not hand fed before, that should be left to someone with experience as so many things can go wrong if you dont know what you are doing.

Like the others have said, the age and handfeeding does not affect the bonding procedure, so dont worry about that.

Greys wean at different ages, one of mine was weaned at 12 weeks, the other two didnt wean until about 19 weeks they are all different.

Congratulations on your new baby:)

Yep- listen to the words of wisdom from all the members on this forum. Please don't take the baby home before it is weaned. It will save that breeder lots of time and trouble to send the baby home with you at 4 weeks but is the baby's life worth risking for that?

If you are worried about bonding with the bird, visit it as it is growing and spend some time with it each week. In the meantime, prepare yourself and your home for the new arrival. Read all you can and let the anticipation grow!

I would never bring a bird home that is not weaned. I have a cockatiel who I got at 4-5 weeks old, the breeder told me he was weaned.He was not. Fortunately I realised very fast and got advise and help from my vet. It is not easy to hand feed a bird . I think it is a job for experts, so many things can go wrong.It is also very time consuming, everything must revolve around the baby bird.Cracker is now a very self opinionated 2 year old but I am the first to admit it was more down to luck than judgement. I would not choose to do it again.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/01/23 19:46

The baby will most likely not be weaned by that time unless it was force weaned which is not good for the bird. I know it's difficult to wait, but it really is best for the bird and your relationship with the bird to let the breeder naturally wean the bird!

I will be frank and blunt. I believe that a breeder who would let a baby go at 4 weeks to a inexperienced hand feeder is irresponsible and could not really care about their birds. I would not have any confidence in that breeder and would look elsewhere for a bird.

Also every bird is different. One might me fully weaned at 16 weeks and another might take another month. Greys usually take at least 16 weeks. When I was talking to breeders back when I was getting mine one told me that they would not even consider letting a grey go until 16 weeks. That is a responsible breeder.

I brought mine home at 16 weeks. I had to take her back to be weighed one week later to make sure she was not losing weight. If she had lost more than 10 percent of her body weight they told me they would take her back for more feeding. I had to agree to this before they would let me take her. Luckily she had not lost even one gram.

Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/01/24 13:13<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/01/24 21:33

As the weaning time varies with greys, some wean at 12 to 14 weeks and some not until 16 to 18 weeks it is best to wait until it is fully weaned and not set a definite time frame on bringing it home. Only the breeder will know when that time is and I feel like Char about the breeder allowing you to bring it home at 4 weeks is irresponsible on their part.

well the only way he lets them go at that age is that you must bring he/her back every week so he can make sure you are doing everything right and the baby is doing good .basically you are doing his work.but he is just fine with letting you keep it there so he can wean the bird.thats what i'm going to do .

I think you're making the right decision. Those weeks of waiting will probably seem extra long, but from what I've read here and other places there are things that can go wrong hand feeding even under the best care. Visit the baby as often as you can, maybe you could even do some of the care to lighten the breeder's load while you're there. Oh, and pictures, lots of pictures, because most of us here aren't any better at delayed gratification. We want to see, NOW:P

there will definitly be a lot of pics so don't worry about that.and to all who wrote ,thank you for all the info and opinions.they have been very helpful ,and extreme thanks to the person who started this forum.awsome awsome awsome.everybody go grey