NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aspergillosis

Dave007

Aspergillosis in birds is an infection by a mold found in the air, in the soil, in animal feeds, and especially in animal bedding. In nature, this fungus derives its nutrition from decaying plant and animal material. Aspergillus is considered infectious, capable of growing inside a living animal. It is generally not considered contagious, however, since most birds pick it up from their environment. The mold is known as an opportunistic invader, causing disease only under special circumstances.

Infection generally occurs when the bird inhales airborne mold spores. If this inhaled dose is high enough to overwhelm the immune system, the bird becomes ill. A bird with a weakened immune system does not require a very high dose of spores. Stressors such as a new cage, moving to a new home, boarding, a new pet in the home can suppress the immune system. Prolonged illness, traumatic injuries, smoke inhalation (cigarettes), and treatment with immunosuppressive drugs will also lead to immunocompromise. Nutrition is paramount in preventing illnesses such as aspergillosis. An inadequate dietary level of vitamin A will cause a change in the mucus membranes and respiratory tract lining, weakening the front line of defense against infection. Deficient levels of zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E; B vitamins in the body can lead to an inadequate immune response and reduce resistance to disease. Finally, when antibiotics are not used properly, or if they are given for an extended period of time, the defenses against aspergillosis wane.

Two forms of aspergillosis are recognized, namely the acute from and the chronic form. The acute from is uncommon, and is usually found in wild birds or pets kept under unsanitary conditions. If occurs following exposed to an overwhelming number of mold spores, such as when ground corncobs get wet and moldy. The lungs and airsacs are rapidly colonized by a massive amount of mold. With this form a bird might lose it’s appetite, drink excessively, urinate excessively, have difficulty breathing, or exhibit a bluish discoloration to the skin. It could die without any sign of illness. The chronic form, on the other hand, is more common. These birds have a weakened immune system, and the infection can even enter the bloodstream where it travels to other organs. Birds that are chronically infected with Aspergillus show a variety of respiratory signs, including a runny nose, swollen face, inability to exercise, respiratory click, or a reluctance to talk or vocalize. They may have a lack of appetite and lose weight. Birds might have diarrhea or increased urination. Often birds with chronic aspergillosis are depressed and lethargic. Often discoloration of the urates can occur, and some birds behave strangely or even have seizures.

When veterinarian suspects that your bird might have aspergillosis, a variety of diagnostic tests may be employed to establish a diagnosis. The white blood cell count is frequently elevated, and enzymes may be released from tissues damaged by the infection. Some birds become anemic. Radiographs (X-rays) can show the location of abscesses, changes in the respiratory tract, or other signs of disease. An examination through the lenses of a rigid endoscope will allow direct visualization of the airsacs and abdominal organs, and will provide the opportunity to collect biopsy samples for culture and microscopic analysis. In recent years, accurate tests have been developed to detect the presence of Aspergillus in the bloodstream, and the immune response to it. Inflammatory proteins can also be evaluated in the blood, giving further evidence that the bird is fighting infection.

Once the diagnosis is confirmed, treatment is initiated to begin control of the fungus. In the initial stages, nursing care may be the most important part of treatment. Sick birds require warmth, humidity, proper nutrition, and plenty of fluids. Medications target the fungal infection, but often antibiotics are also used to fight or prevent concomitant bacterial infections that are common in these patients. Nebulization is sometimes used to humidify the airways and deliver topical doses of medicine deep into the respiratory system. Treatment can include surgery to debrief and cleanse the areas where pus, fungus, and debris have collected. In most cases, medications must be given for several months since it is the birds immune system that is responsible for cleanup while the medications simply hold the infection in check.

In order to protect a bird from infection by Aspergillus, it is important to keep stressors to a minimum. Birds do well when they are brought up learning that changes are a normal part of life, and when the home environment provides clear, consistent, loving guidelines. Of course, proper nutrition is key to the health of all animals. A varied diet based on a high quality pelleted ration is recommended. Birds eating this way get sick less frequently than those one seed based diets. Since the Aspergillus fungus grows readily in moist, dirty environments, one must provide good ventilation and keep the cage and surrounding area very clean. For veterinarians, one way to prevent infection is to routinely prescribe antifungal agents when avian patients are on extended courses of antibiotics or are otherwise immunocompromised. At Niles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center, both have a very good success rate in treating birds with the chronic from of aspergillosis. It is important, however to obtain a diagnosis and begin treatment as early in the course of disease as possible. One the infection has progressed, it can be very difficult if not impossible, to return a bird to health. Some birds do relapse, too, giving the fungus another opportunity to take their life.

Edited by Dave007

I've only been once due to the drive, and it wasn't to her house, it was her sons. She keeps telling me the baby is doing great, and gosh he looks so great and healthy in his pictures.

If I lived closer I would be there every single day. Ha, I am ALWAYS at Animal House playing with those birds. THis wait is killing me.

I know exactly what you are talking about, unless they love birds they just don't understand how we feel about our birds, they are family, some people feel that way about their dogs and cats and us bird people feel that way about our birds.

You know you can always come here and be with like minded people, tell us what you think and ask questions and share stories with us for we completely understand how your mind works. We are nuts for our greys and only other grey nuts know how we feel, you are in good company.

Some of my best friends are here on this forum and I know I can count on them for anything and they me.

• 7 months later...

I HAVE A AMAZON WITH ASPERGELLIOS DISEASE AND SHE CAN BE QUIET BAD AT TIMES BEEN TO MY LOCAL AVIAN VET AND HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING FOR HER SHE HAS PICKED UP A BIT THANKS TO CUCUMBER TO WHAT IS IN IT I AM NOT TO SURE BUT THE VET IS VERY SURPRISED THAT SHE IS STILL HERE AFTER BEING DIAGONOSED ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO WITH IT AND HE EVEN SAYS IT IS STRANGE THAT SHE IS TILL HERE JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT WITH THE CUCUMBER SO THAT IS A STRANGE ONE HE SAYS BUT WE ARE HAPPY SHE IS HERE AND STAYING HERE AS LONG AS SHE FIGHTS WE FIGHT WITH HER ALL THE WAY SHE IS A BEAUTIFUL BIRD

• 1 year later...

Hi there...looks like no one has really posted to this thread in quite some time.

Looks like my year-old CAG has Aspergillosis...very ill right now and may not make it. The next 24 hours are critical. Any words of advisement? We are so heartbroken for our dear Linus.

I am so sorry for you and Linus to be facing this, my heart is with you. It is really hard to feel so helpless. Make the most of your moments. You have a lot of support out here from people who not only know how bonded we get with our special companions but also have been where you are. It's hard to know the words to say to comfort you but if loving wishes can help, they are pouring out to you.

yeeeeeeee! Love everything with happy ending! Great news! :-)

Uh, I wrote this comment seeing just first page.. Now I see the second page and it is not such a great news at all :-(((((((( So sorry guys for your feathered friends. Hope they do recover soon (no matter what doctors say)! :-)

Edited by Morana

Hi all...an update on Linus. He looked better today! He's lost a lot of weight...down to 290, however this is improved over recent days. He's tolerating his feedings better and the nebulizer treatments seem to be helping. Still day by day, but we are encouraged. Will post pics of our little guy soon!

The latest on Linus...

He ate 20 pellets on his own last night! This is HUGE progress. We're hoping to have him home sometime next week. The anti-fungal treatment seems to really be making the difference, all but solidifying the aspergillosis diagnosis. Our vet is really being hard on himself for not catching this sooner. The reality is, the labs didn't support the diagnosis. Dr. Kevin Wright is amazing...and Linus has found his way onto our vet's website! We are so grateful for the care they have provided. In fact, next Tuesday is Linus' first birthday!!!! Planning on delivering a cake to the office in celebration and to thank them for all their hard work and care.