NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hi everyone just wanted some advice on my new tag. he is 18 month old hand reared and has been with us since wednesday. He is called kiki he has settled in really well eating well and coming out of cage for nosey he is speaking quite well says hello very clear and loud and imitating telephone he is also saying lots of other words but we cant understand them abit muffled is this normal? He is taking food from my hand and i can stroke his beak but sometimes he keeps bobbing his head up and down alot what does this mean. I cant touch him anywhere else as he bites and if i go in to step up he bites and climbs up his cage, ive also noticed if i use a perch for step up he goes crazy squaking and screaming and flapping his wings so ive decided not to use this at the moment do you think someone may have scared him with this. Im just goin to talk to him and carry on stroking his beak for the next week maybe he just needs getting used to me do you think? any information what to do next would be grateful. im going to get his wing clipped in about 2 weeks at the vets but apart from this everything seems to be fine cheers lisa

Hello Lisa and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Kiki.

He needs some time to settle in since he has only been with you for a few days, greys are very cautious birds and take some time to get adjusted to a new home.

Some greys do not allow much touching and maybe not until they feel more comfortable with you and you have to earn their trust so be patient with him and see what happens in the coming weeks and months.

Most of them will be scared of wooden perches when you try to get them to step up on one and if that is how he reacts then leave it and offer the back of your hand when balled up in a fist, he won't be able to get a firm grip to bite you that way.

Think long and hard before you clip his wings as it takes a long time for them to grow out, most of us usually like to leave them unclipped so they can fly as that is what comes natural.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them and ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of Kiki you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

Hello and Welcome Lisa!!

Only being in his new home and getting to know his flock for 2 days is not enough time for him to trust you yet.

Just be patient and keep offering treats by hand, talking to him, sitting next to him etc.

In regards the perch, it is alarming and scaring him. Therefore, do not use the perch to have him step up on. Many react this way to a perch held in the hand. It's just not a natural place for a perch to appear and move toward them in their minds. :-)

Looking forward to hearing more from you.