NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Factor

Rachel218

They are real...they are from a breeder in South Africa. The all red grey is a Double Factor Pied, the other two are Single Pied.

The all red female and an unrelated Single Pied male are for sale as a pair...going for $150,000.

Here is a link to the guys selling page.

http://www.birdsfromafrica.co.za/redafrican.html<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2009/01/16 10:07

I've seen these pictures many times before and I think that the all red one look very unhealthy almost like its enemic or something. I also think that its quite ugly a few red feathers here and there is one thing but when they start doing things like that. I think its just wrong. I for one wouldn't pay a dime for that bird. I prefer the African Greys to look the way they are suppose to Grey with bright red tails or Grey with burgandy tails. If they have a few red feathers else where and its natural than thas fine also. but to me that red african grey is no longer a African grey they just are not suppose to look like that at all. Just my opinion.

I think african greys are called that because they are grey. I dont agree with messing about with genetics to that extent. I also agree that the dog world is awash with breeds that have serious health problems breed in to them<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/01/16 23:10

Yes, I agree that breeding to bring out a genetic defect as seen here in mass red coverage is definitely adding a severe weakness in the genetics of those Greys.

We see the same thing in dogs that are bred closely related with genetic mutations that weakens the over all health of the animal.

But, as has been said, some try to capitalize on it.

I personally also think they are ugly and it diminishes the astaire of the breed.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay that much for an all red grey. From my understanding they were put up for sale at 16 months so they would have started to molt already and if they didn't loose it in the first molt they probably won't if the all red is linked to the Pied mutation. The pied mutation is all over the finch world and when they have the blotches of white it doesn't molt out.

• 1 month later...

I guess african greys are lovely as God created them. They are really adorable and I think a person who messes up the genes to get something he can sell for 150000 usd is a sick person.

Just think that if this person loved his parrot, he wouldnt sell it for all the money in the world, so breeding with mutation purpose for the purpose of huge bux is something intolerable...

:ohmy: :evil: :dry: