NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mercury in Low Energy Bulbs

Talon

I know that here is the US, they are pushing for all light bulbs sold in the future to be the low energy type, but are they aware how toxic they could be to our feathered friends? They DO contain a small amount of mercury in them, and there are strict regulations to be followed when a bulb breaks.

Here is some info I have been collecting: Please feel free to add any more advice that you find. Make up your own minds if you want to use these birds in your home.

Disposing of bulbs safely

The Environment Agency has called for more information to be made available on the health and environmental risks posed by low-energy light bulbs.

It says because the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, more information about safe recycling is needed.

It also wants health warnings printed on packaging and information on how to clear up smashed bulbs in the home.

But a toxicologist has played down the risks, saying several bulbs would have to be smashed at once to pose a danger.

Environmental scientist Dr David Spurgeon said: "Because these light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury they could cause a problem if they are disposed of in a normal waste-bin.

It is possible that the mercury they contain could be released either into the air or from land-fill when they are released into the wider environment.

That's a concern, because mercury is a well known toxic substance."

If you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger

Dr David Ray, toxicologist:

Official advice from the Department of the Environment states that if a low-energy bulb is smashed, the room needs to be vacated for at least 15 minutes.

A vacuum cleaner should not be used to clear up the debris, and care should be taken not to inhale the dust.

Instead, rubber gloves should be used, and the broken bulb put into a sealed plastic bag - which should be taken to the local council for disposal.

Unbroken used bulbs can be taken back to the retailer if the owner is a member of the Distributor Takeback Scheme.

Otherwise, many local waste disposal sites now have the facilities to safely collect and dispose of old bulbs.

However, this advice is not printed on the packaging that low-energy bulbs are sold in.

Toxicologist Dr David Ray, from the University of Nottingham, said about 6-8mg of mercury was present in a typical low-energy bulb, which he described as a "pretty small amount".

"Mercury accumulates in the body - especially the brain," he said. "The biggest danger is repeated exposure - a one off exposure is not as potentially dangerous compared to working in a light bulb factory.

"If you smash one bulb then that is not too much of a hazard. However, if you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger."

Please chirp in with any facts you may find....:(<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2009/01/13 20:38

Thanks Penny for checking into this for us, I knew that the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury and you were not to dispose of them in with your regular trash. I have only recently started using a couple of these bulbs and am now concerned about continuing to use them.

Please let us know anything more you find out about these bulbs.

Compact fluorescent bulbs doesn't easily break compared to regular light bulbs with thinner glass. We use fluorescents in the house to save money and it's an added bonus because they're brighter. Before we got our grey, I accidentally dropped one on the floor in our house and it didn't break at all, we as a regular bulb would have definitely broke.

When the light bulb burns out, you cannot throw it in the trash, as you stated. But you can find places to dispose of them. Last time we were in our local Home Depot we saw a sign saying that they dispose of fluorescent lights.

I'm just saying that for personal experience with dropping 2 in the same room, that the CFL didn't break.

Fluorescent bulbs have been getting a bad reputation, but check out this chart:

425px-Mercury_emissions_by_light_so.png

It looks like regular incandescent light bulbs actually release more mercury when burnt by coal in land fills.

Well I hope they don't go to only using those kinds of bulbs. They are a known trigger for migraine headaches! For those people out there with this disease it is scary to think this type of lighting may be the only option in the future!

As for the mercury danger that is scary too. It does seem like the lesser of two evils in regards to the two choices we have right now...but still...maybe we should try to find another solution that is safe for all!