NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Birds & Dairy Products

Talon

They are able to tolerate a small amount of lactose that is in cheeses and a small amount of milk such as in a spoon of cereal.

African Greys can easily handle small amounts of dairy products. Cheese and yogurt, rich in calcium but low in lactose, is an excellent treat. Be creative… Give your birds an occasional slice of pizza, or a splash of milk over their favorite cereal in the morning. Just don’t overdue it!<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2009/01/09 18:39

Yes, it was a great article but now I have a new question:unsure:

I have read alot of the old posts and from the information I got, I was under the impression that lactose free or soya milk was a good alternative since we should not give our greys much (if any) milk. But in the in the article you provided near the very bottom it says:

"I have been asked about the possibility of giving a bird a commercially available product developed for lactose intolerant humans. The answer to that question is a resounding NO. The two compounds that lactose is broken down into by these products are toxic to birds"

I am assuming they are referring to lactose free and soya milk? So does this mean that we should not give them lactose free or soya milk either? That's how I took it. But a small amount of regular milk is ok?

Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/09 19:37<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/09 19:50

I just went into an older post from April of last year when this topic came up called "Lactose free milk for mende" Unless I wasn't reading it right it the conclusion seemed to say the lactose free and soya milk was ok and I believed it:( .

Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/09 19:28<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/09 19:38

This is just like the peanut debate....but the article I posted, was written by a vet. The thread you are referring to, was not. People can choose to believe whichever. But more research needs to be done, and tonight after work, I hope to continue researching this.

Personally, I do allow my birds cheese when ever we have it, which btw is many times a week. I allow them an occasional nibble of ice cream, which they LOVE! and also a drink from the cereal spoon occasionally as well.

I haven't noticed any diarrhea or change at all in them.

New information! It's always good to know potential dangers so we can research/experiment/decide. Heck, when I was little and didn't know any better, my family used to give Hershey's Kisses to our dogs as rewards/treats, and it never bothered them. It's weird the things we're leery of and why, but Lord knows I don't give my dogs chocolate as an adult! I also don't feel too bad anymore for giving Tango a couple bites of cereal this morning, since it seems to be okay in extreme moderation.

Occasional and moderation is the two key words here it seems, not that I am saying giving dogs chocolate is ok for its not but as with foods we as humans should avoid it is ok to indulge occasionally and just a moderate amount is fine, it is when we do it more often and in larger quantities we get in trouble for it.

I look forward to hearing any more you find out about this subject Penny and Erika.

Great info, Penny.

Although Kenzie has never had lactose-free products, we do occasionally have the soy milk products in the house. So this is a good informative article.

We've given her small amounts of cheese, which she REALLY likes, and I never noticed her droppings change after consumption.

I looked up African Greys on Wikipedia. It told alot about them and I thought it was interesting so I put a link in the African Grey room.

What really caught my attention though was at the bottom of the article in Dangerous Foods section, it stated that they are lactose intolerant but yet it is not dangerous for them. They just get reduced nutritional value from it. It was very short and to the point. I was surprised when they didn't say that it should be given in moderation or anything along those lines.

Here's a link if you want to check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Grey_Parrot<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/11 03:49

As there are many debatable issues that continue forever such as this one, the peanut debate, pellets and seeds. I think that it really would be in the very best interest to follow the direction of each of our own licensed avian veterinarian's, if we choose to get a second opinion as we would with our own health then follow your feelings and seek another veterinarian.

There are so many links on the Internet that contradict each other that it is very hard to no what to believe.For every site one can find to defend an issue there will be at least 2 more out there to discredit it.

With regards to wikipedia, even they follow there comment with (citation needed) which if you follow this means "statement is likely to be challanged"

so there editor has covered any challanges to what they print.

I still feel that only a trained Avian Vet should be the one to give information on debatable food related issues, and I myself would never follow a lot of the information that is on the internet. There are web sites that are very very good out there, but a lot are put up by people that really have no experience or very little, and tend to mislead novice people into believing that it must be true.

If any food or health issue becomes a debate, I would not take chances with misleading advice. If you have been feeding what ever it is that is debatable and it works for you, fine. Like a lot of people say " in moderation" now the debate may start with " what is moderation" so around it goes again.

Take the advise of your vet.

Carolyn & Mika

You are absolutely correct Carolyn. There is so much mis-information on the internet. But the article I linked to was written by an avian vet. I have yet to find any more information as to why the lactose free products are toxic. Everything I find says a little is fine. Moderation is the key, and I think that has to be a personal decision based on the advice of YOUR avian vet.

I do feel that we found the answer to the "peanut debate" here as Dave posted.

I agree fully Carolyn. Many internet sites and books give conflicting advise.I would always consult my vet on any issues I am unsure of.I must add that my vet and the vet nurses are always very willing to give diet advise along with answering any other questions over the phone so long as no medical issues are present when they suggest a visit. I think most vets are like this.

I agree also that the very best way to get the information you want is to ask your vet. I did see 2 other aritcles written by vets that said about the same thing as the link that Penny posted. I have not found anything else out about the lactose free or soya milk.

I was very surprised that wikipedia put that information in there but did want to share it. I have always thought wikipedia was a pretty decent source and they do list their references.

I do think it is healthy to have a debates or discussions about certain topics as the peanut, seed & pellets, etc. It brings attention and awareness to important topics that might not otherwise be touched on but it is up to each one of us to decide what we should or should not feed our greys. I agree a vet should be consulted if you are not sure of something.

But even vets can have different opinions on subjects as well.

I do look at different websites when I want to learn things and do think the internet is a good tool but when researching I would say to always consider the source, Is it an opinion by an individual or a professional opinion?? and always check a few differnt sources and make an informed decision which may include consulting with a vet or doctor, etc when it is of a serious nature. I for one am glad this topic came up and the peanut debate as well. :)<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/11 03:51

BaxtersMom wrote:

I looked up African Greys on Wikipedia.

I wouldn't always trust Wikipedia. The site is made and edited by people like you and me. You don't know what given information is from a random John Doe or from a professional in the field. I could go to Wikipedia, login, and edit that African Grey page right now if I wanted to.

I'd feel better if the information was from someone with certification in the avian field and knowledge on greys than Wikipedia.

I'm not dissing Wikipedia because it has some great information that is free to the public, and I myself use it. I'm just saying that some things should be taken with a grain of salt because you can't be too sure who wrote the information you're reading...so it's best to do more research.

That's why I said to "consider the source" and who it was written by. Was it an by just an individual or by a licensed professional???

It is up to each individual to get the information they need. Sort the good from the bad and make an informed decision.

I just enjoyed the aritcle about the greys and noticed what it said about lactose intolerance and was surprised at what they said.<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/11 02:47