NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP, my grey cracked his beak

pompous

My adult grey just jumped off his perch, and cracked his beak, its at the tip. it is bleeding. we applied some corn starch to stop bleeding. what should i do. vet is not an option at the moment, we are in the middle of an ice storm..

Sounds like (and hope) all will be fine. Keep us posted. I am curious if your bird is clipped. A proper clip should allow the bird to safely glide from perch to floor w/o crashing or injury. That being said, accidents can and do happen even to fully flighted birds. However, a severe clip that does not allow proper gliding control can lead to additional injuries and other problems. Just something to think about. ;)

He seems to be doing ok. The bleeding has stopped. He seems to be licking the inside of his beak, but I figure that would be normal. As far as the wings being clipped, when I inherited him he had no wing or tail feathers at all. Now he has some wing and tail feathers, but i dont think enogh to even give him a soft landing. We take him out almost daily, once in a while he will make a jump for it. This is the first time it resulted in an injury. Thanks again for the quick replies and help. His name is Kenworth.

Mike, so glad Kenworth is much better. I have hardwood floors and my heart stops every time Ana Grey leaps from the top of her cage. I can't wait until she is fully flighted and apparently, neither can she.!!! Would love to see some pictures of Kenworth if you have any you would like to share.