NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Seeing Red!

casper

We have noticed over the last couple of months that my middle grey Keeko who is 11 months old freaks if he see's anything the colour red! Dont you all think this is strange? My other two are fine so its obviously not a grey thing, but if anyone including myself wears red he will start flapping around the cage and growling!

Anyone else noticed anything similiar with their grey?

Or can maybe explain to me why its just one colour?;)

Caroline.

You're wrong there. It is a grey thing and it happens frequently. Many greys are either afraid of certain colors from the beginning or start to develop it as time goes on plus it has nothing to do with your other birds not being a affected in the same way. In the future, one of your greys could possibly get spooked but the terrible hair color you recently chose to beautify yourself although it didn't really work. It just may take a while to sink into the bird's head once he knows it's permanent.

I haven't noticed anything like that with Josey but I don't think it is unusual for them to react that way to a particular color, I have heard it before and there are a few things in particular that Josey does not like but it is a certain thing not a color. She hates my step stool that I use to get things off my top shelf in the kitchen, I don't use it every day but when I do and she is in the kitchen she will growl, sounds horrific.

Maybe Keeko is like a bull in the arena, they hate the color red too don't they, isn't that what the bullfighter uses, a red piece of clothing to make the bull mad.

Dave007 wrote:

In the future, one of your greys could possibly get spooked but the terrible hair color you recently chose to beautify yourself although it didn't really work. It just may take a while to sink into the bird's head once he knows it's permanent.

DAVE, that was not a very nice thing to say to one of my best friends, shame on you:ohmy: :blink: :whistle:

Whisper is afraid of large items that are bold prints. I tried to put a brightly patterned blanket over my computer chair to keep her from chewing on the back of the chair. Every time I went near the chair with the blanket on it she would freak out and fly off. I could not get her near it.

Yesterday I was conditioning my hair so I wrapped a towel around my head and walked into the living room where she was on her play stand. She went beserk when she saw me. It wasn't even brightly colored. She screeched and flew off her stand. I had to quickly take it off and reassure her but she still kept looking at me funny.

Her favorite toy color is yellow,<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/01/07 01:17

When I took out my Santa this year, I thought it would be really neat to see my birds reactions - since this was there 1st Christmas with us. I have about a 5 foot Santa that sings and dances, I sat him in the bird room and turned it on and you would have thought my grey had been attacked by a wild animal or something. I found out quick that he did not like it! But, my Amazon didn't mind it at all, she actually climbed on Santa and chewed off one of his fingers--- Poor Santa --- and to think how good he was to all of them this year!

When I took out my Santa this year, I thought it would be really neat to see my birds reactions - since this was there 1st Christmas with us. I have about a 5 foot Santa that sings and dances, I sat him in the bird room and turned it on and you would have thought my grey had been attacked by a wild animal or something. I found out quick that he did not like it! But, my Amazon didn't mind it at all, she actually climbed on Santa and chewed off one of his fingers--- Poor Santa --- and to think how good he was to all of them this year!