NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How did you name your Grey?

dblhelix

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I thought a long time about what to name my TAG, but eventually came up with the name Lyric because I think it's kind of unique, could be a girl or boy's name and I figured a musical name would be good. His official name is "Lyric Angel" although my boyfriend thinks it should be devil instead because he insists he is the devil. (they don't always get along so great!)

When I used to raise cockatiels I had a Sunny and Sidney so all their babies had S names, and my parrolets were Ziggy and Zelda so all their babies had Z names. Z names are a little harder to think up though! Lyric's parents are Tarzan (because I loved watching Tarzan growing up and figured it was kind of an african sounding name) and Akasha (from Anne Rice's book "Queen of the Damned"). My other pair of greys are Isis and Osiris because I've always loved Egyptian stories! Eventually maybe I'll have a Cleopatra too!

My male was named by my too younger boys and they picked Messiah. I said that was a pretty big name for a bird. Deliliah got her name from my husband because she tempted him with her bird noises and affection. I added middle names to the birds because when I want my children's attention I call them by their first and middle name. Hence the birds names are:

Messiah Matthew

Deliliah Rose

My cockateil's name is Sonny but that was his name when we bought him on consignment. He was nine when we got him so we kept the name.

One of the finches name is Samantha (Sam for short) and I forget the other one's name. My younger boys named the finches.

We didn't have a name for my TAG when the breeder first started sending pictures. It wasn't until she started to get her feather and my "hubby" said, "She looks like the Midnight sky, so dark you can't tell if she is blue or black." Thought that was a cool way to look at it so she is now Midnight. Hope she has a great personality to go with it.

We named our Grey "Dayo" after visiting the breeder every week and spending 2 hours each time interacting with the two clutches with 7 Greys in all. At about 12 weeks, two finally picked us as their favorites to hang with when we visited.

After searching meaning different African languages for names and their meaning, we found his name Dayo, meaning "Joy Arrives". It is a unisex name so it worked even though he is a Male. He brings joy each and everyday to our lives since his birth and later coming home with us. :-)

LOL KatB, The Calypso song was a bonus I had forgotten until I posted on this Forum what we decided to name him.

I have that song saved on my PC now as a wav file and play it at least once a week. :-) .....Daaaayyyyoooo, Daaaayyyoo, da da da dadadadada :P

Good question Mark! I went through allot of names for mine lol. The breeder said her name was Heart, and I asked her why this was, and she said cause this one actually took a piece of her heart, she thought she was soo sweet! I laugh at that now lol, anyone that knows my story can surely find a giggle there lol. But I wanted to call her Sugar but than when we got her and I saw her and how much she had been through to get to us with her flight and all she took a piece of my heart as well! So I couldn't help but call her SweetHeart. Hopefully one day she will live up to that name lol!

I drew up a long list for the family to mull over. I so wanted Sheakspear (a way with words...)or Cromwell. Sadly I was outvoted so Gus is plain old GUS. I also have a tiel called Burt, a female ringneck (inherited) called Pete (decided not to confuse her after she had lived with a male name for years) and a gar called Sweety-Pie. I got to name Burt because when he was given to me the family were letting me do anything whilst I was in mourning over my TAG that had been killed by my brothers husky.

• 1 month later...

Clëo's actual name is Cleopatra, have no idea why we called her that, went through loadsa names originally wanting a swahilli name :huh: she was going to be called jengo. My bf likes to call her princess every now and again, so we also looked for that in a different language but none sounded nice. I looked at a bunch of Egyptian names and it seemed the most obvious! :laugh: lol. We dont know if she's actually female yet, but thats what we assume by opinions on visual sexing, shall have her dna sexed in a couple weeks on which she'll probably get renamed to Leo haha.

• 8 months later...

My grey is named Savage. I was stumped for a name for a while when I first picked him up. Well put some toys into his cage for him, and he destroyed them very quickly. I was still stumped, I was leaving for work the next morning, and I threw on my sunglasses and said goodbye to him, and he puffed up and started growling at me! So at that point he became my little Savage. I never wear sunglasses around him anymore.

I had a long time to think of a name for my grey. The first were Cisco and Frisco, then Tallula, Sweet Pea, then Lola, my grandson still calls her Saber, but in the end after she was DNA'd and was so sweet; she became Ana Grey. It seems so right!!

party-071.gif<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2008/12/15 19:34

I had a few names in mind when Jenna was a baby and I was visiting her every week at the breeder. "Jenna" was actually not near the top of the list, but it is the name she responded to :-) AND it means "little bird" so that works! I guess she chose her own name :P

I know you may find this kinda strange but i had my cag for almost a month now and my fiance and i still didnt pick a name beacuse we wanted something to fit his character so we are waiting to get to know him a bit more,..i will let you know as soon as we name him! :D

Athena was originally "Hathor" when we got her. The breeder had named all the babies in the clutch after Egyptian gods, but the cow goddess just didn't seem to fit my girl. I've always liked Egyptian and Greek mythology and since Athena was well-known for her wisdom and intelligence as well as her independence and strong spirit, I thought it a fitting name for my very strong-willed and curious parrot.

She has since given herself the nickname of T-bird, which is a combination of the nicknames T-rex and Theena-bird, I think. :)

My greys name originally was "Homie" i liked Homie but my husband hated it. We had him a few days, maybe a week and I walked up to his cage and looked at him and the name "Baxter" immediately popped in my mind. It was like a light bulb went of HaHa:laugh: And now he is Baxter and I think it is a perfect fit for his personality. Every now and then he will still say Homie. Usually when I remind him of it and call him that. He hasn't forgotten it. He whispers "Baxter" but does not say it loudly.

I don't get to name the family pets - my daughter (MarytheTweet) has been doing this since she was 3 years old - and most of our pets end up with a "middle" name, too. :P They include Mathias Moreau (cat); Muffin (hamster - R.I.P); Kiefer and Bindi (hermit crabs - R.I.P); Shadow Sly (cat); Snowball Bubboo (albino rabbit); Maximum Nymphodora (TAG), and Tanner Logan (severe macaw).

Mary's 13 now, and likes to write. I'm looking forward to novels with interesting characters!:P

We wanted a name that was close to human. We thought it would be weird having a conversation with a bird named something goofy (my daughter came up with some odd ones). We came up with Rexxy after that cute little dinasuar from pbs cartoon "callou". He likes rexxy, rex and rexxer.