NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Climbing net project

I had made one for her before out of small rope like the one on:

http://cheepparrottoysntips.com/knots.html

But it didn't last. So went and got some 3/8" sisal rope and decided I'd make one like the get a grip one's, just couldn't find anything bigger than 3/8". 1" is a little too much for a grey I think, 3/4" woulda been ideal I think but this will do I guess. They had 3/4" and 1" in manila but couldn't remember if it was safe or not.

Anyways this is after 45m. Woulda been a lot faster if Echo woulda kept from walking through it and grabbing the rope asking me "what are you doing?". Making a toy for you ya dork and would be faster if ya wasn't already trying to play with it, lol.

I'll probably finish it after she goes to bed.

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Thanks for the replies.

It's prolly gonna be about a week now. I got this problem with one of my wrists where it locks up time to time. A free floating bone in my wrist as the doctor puts it. basically nothing holding it in place(previous injury). To get rid of the problem they'd have to fuse the bone together basically making my wrist immobile from then on out.

But it's just locked in position and takes a few days for it to work it way back in place. Hurts like hell if I try to move it but I got a brace for it when it acts up.

But that's the update. Got 5 rows of squares done the other night but hands got hurting from pulling the knots. Some are still kinda loose. I'll prolly soak it in water when it's finished to get them tighter.

Ok it's done. Didn't use a tape measure or a spacer for the holes so not too bad I guess. It wound up roughly being 2x3. Get a grip sells that size for around $60 I think and the rope and twine cost me about $20 so can definately save money. I know how much each knot subtracts from the length so when I make my next one it will be a lot better and will probably use a bigger rope.

This was about a 100' of rope in all. My brother said I should make them as a hobby and sell em. To quote him after seeing it done. "You should sell those, that's bad ass." lol

Echo still kinda cautious about it. She was for a few days last time she had a net too. I might move it though.

IMG_0002.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: mjames74, at: 2009/01/10 01:01

IMG_0002.jpg

James I am so proud of you, you did an excellent job on this net and it looks professional too, maybe you should think of doing this as a part time job, I would order one.

Thanks for sharing it with us and maybe you could give some more detailed instructions for the crafty ones to make one for their greys.

Never was a boy scout, just a good researcher. Looked up about every knot in the book trying to find one that would keep the rope straight when coming out of the knot.

Finally decided on the diamond stitch variation to the chinese cross knot:

http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/cross-knot.html

and the whipping at the rope ends:

whip.jpg

The knot is a pain to get used to but once ya get it you can fly though it. took about 1 1/2 rows to get it down. Then about 4 hrs after that to finish it.

Don't know what other pointers to give, never was a good teacher. as far as measuring each knot takes up roughly 2" of the legnth on the 3/8" rope. Will probably be a bigger reduction with bigger ropes. Just something to keep in mind.

I have a question though. Is manila rope safe? If I make another I'll probably get it from home depot. It didn't say if it was treated or not. Didn't know if anyone already researched it or not.<br><br>Post edited by: mjames74, at: 2009/01/10 01:00

Time wise maybe 6 hrs. But that was learning the knots and all and learning how to do it. Now that I know I would say I can probably do it in half the time 3-4 hrs or so.

Materials was 3x50' rolls of rope and a spool of twine. Around $25. I could have done it with 2 rolls I'm sure cause I wasted a lot learing. So if I were to make it again if I used 2 rolls and the twine it woulda been about $18-$20.

Kudo's on the net...I had the same idea, but I am lazy....

We had a "bungee type" net in the garage that use can use on the bed of pickups for securing loads that I brought into the house for something. One of the dogs decided it looks delightfully delicious, and chewed it up. So, I took the part I could salvage and folded it over and got creative with some zip-strips. The results were a net I could "hook" to the cage when I wanted to. The plus side, I can unhook it and move the cage when I decide I need to wipe it down.

And, since we are in the Homemade toys department, I have attached pics of the phone book I drilled a hole in and zip-stripped to the cage for Hannah to play with. She has already tore into it and it's only been in there about 4 hours!!

Am I doing something wrong here....i keep trying to post a quick reply, but it doesn't come up...

Anyway, I posted the pics in my profile since it wouldn't let me attach to my post. Maybe I just need to post more to figure out the quirks....:laugh:

HK - that's great that she tore into the phone book already. Great idea! I was thinking of doing something similar but couldn't figure out how to hook it in there. Zipties...excellent solution.

MJames - that rope is awesome! I spent a lot more than that on a rope just to not figure out how to get my birds to use it. So now it's just a really expensive stuffed animal holder in my daughter's room! :S

If I build an outdoor aviary for summertime use I may end up taking it back and doing something with it in there. She'll probably be grown up and out of the house by the time I figure out how to do that and muster up the energy to actually get it done though! :-)

Kudos to both of you (and some Karma to go with it!).

Lisa