NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

One of my flock passed away, worried about the res

krutsingd

I have a CAG, 2 Quakers and 2 parrotlets. I adopted a parrotlet about 6 months ago that had a disabled foot. He passed away yesterday and I'm not entirely sure why. I had been watching him because his activity level was decreasing but he was never what I would call normal due to his disability.

I don't have the $200 for the necropsy so I have ordered an antibiotic from Dr's Foster and Smith. It's dyoxocline or something like that. I will give it to the rest of my flock for a 10 day period hopefully to ward off any diseases that may be present. Is there anything else that I can and/or should be doing at this point?

I did keep the parrotlet in quarantine for over 90 days before I introduced him to the rest of the flock. I would be sick if he had a contagious disease and it spread to my other babies!!

If your parrotlet had a problem, it would've shown itself during that quarantine. Dyoxocline as well as other over the counter bird medications aren't FDA approved. It would have been best to contact the vet by phone, explain what you know about the death and get his opinion and ask about that medication. Explain lack of funds. What you can do right now is to remove the cage, food bowls and all toys and any type of playstand that the bird frequented. The only thing you can do is wait and watch since you have no idea why the bird passed away. How old was the parrotlet? Was the bird overweight? Parrotlets don't have a long life span.

Firstly, let me say I am so sorry for your loss. I cant imagine what you must be feeling like, time is a great healer and I hope the pain will lessen over time.

I think it is really important to try and get the necropsy done when you have other birds. If it is a contagious disease you will need to treat the birds with the right medication not just any antibiotic.

Doxycycline is normally given for the treatment of Psittacosis or Chlamydophila psittaci as its also known. Is this what you think your bird had?

I believe you can get home testing kits for the disease but the disease can remain in incubation for a 45 day period.

Is there maybe a family member who could help with the money for the necropsy? it might be something completely different that your birds may not need any treatment for.

I wish you well and hope it was nothing contagious. Please keep us updated on the rest of your flock.

Caroline.

OH, I am so sorry to hear that Parrolet passed away.

Dave and Casper have given great advice and I can add nothing to their input.

As you are wanting to address right now, as the first priority is being proactive and ensuring if it was actually an infectious disease, you have it covered.