NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

trimming beaks

gourdlady247

The lady we got George from called and wants to know if I want her to come by and trim his beak.

Should this be done? She came by a couple weeks after we got him and trimmed his wings, I was ok with that but I don't know anything about his beak or what the purpose of donig this is. Need advice.

Thanks

Marla

My vet recommended against this in Maxi's case - Maxi was doing plenty of beak-sharpening and grooming on her own. My understanding is that beaks rarely need trimming in a healthy bird - that it might be needed if the beak is growing in irregularly, for example. Others here will know more. It is definitely NOT for amateurs! There's a blood supply in there (I think I can actually see small veins through Maxi's upper mandible). I'd ask an avian vet before having this done.

Uh. I would show a pic to an avian vet and get their recommendation. Usually beaks only need to be trimmed if they have abnormal growing.

Our adoption agency recommended a variety of perches in the cage, like rope, wood, sandy, and cement.

Do you ever notice how birds rub their beaks on their perches after they eat? Well, this is where the help of a sandy or cement perch will help trim the beak on its own. It also helps their toenails! :)

Yes, I think that IS the general idea, Marla - the question is: is it a good idea at all? I think some folks think it's okay to trim a bird's beak so the bird won't be as likely to punch a hole in you if it bites. As I understand it, though, that is not a fit justification for trimming a bird's beak - i.e.: beak trimming is supposed to be about what is good for the bird - not for the human! B)