NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello Everyone!

I am owned by many animals. At the moment, I have two birds: a TAG and a cockatiel. I got my grey a couple of months ago. He was a rescue. I was told that he was an ex-breeder, but I really do not know a lot about his background. Does anyone else have experience with ex-breeders that were never really socialized with humans?? I am well aware that if he ever comes around, it will take along time. He does not like anyone to get close to him. He is quite a screamer if you do. Right now, if I go to catch him, he just flops backwards and screams. I wish I didn't have to catch him up, but how do I get him out to clean his cage, change out toys, etc. without making him not trust me? He will not come out on his own. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello FurNFeathers, welcome here. It's great you have given a new home to this former breeder bird. You are right about one thing, it will take lots of time to get him to trust you. Have you tried opening the cage door to see if he will come out on his own? If you have the time and patience, leave the door open and let him come out and sit on top of his cage. Do you know how old this bird is? What is his name?

Hello FurNFeathers and Roscoe! Welcome to the family. First I would like to say it's great that you took in a rescue and are willing to spend the time it needs and give it a chance to live a happy life.

The only advice I could give is and I'm not sure if it will work but try to clean the cage with him in it and change toys out with him in it. Will Rosco allow this? I know when I brought my grey home that is one of the biggest ways we bonded~with me having my arms in his cage and switching the toys out and not paying any attention to him at all, I would just rearranging his perches, toys etc. My grey was not an ex breeder but was not handled by people so he didn't really like anyone getting too close at the beginning but he did get really really curious when I would do things to his cage and act like I didn't even see him in there. After a few times he realized that I wasn't going to bother him or scare him and I think he enjoyed me messing around in his cage. Like I said I don't know if it will work or not since he is pretty scared of people but it might be worth a try. Good luck and keep us posted.

There are lots of knowledgable members here on this site and I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help you more on this.

Karma to you for taking in an older grey:)

Hello FurNFeathers and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Roscoe.

I am afraid you have your work cut out for you, it won't be easy and you must be very patient for this process will take lots of time. Usually breeder birds do not make good pets ad you may never get this bird to accept you the way a bird that was handled as a pet would have.

I would leave his cage door open when you are around to supervise to allow him to come out when he is ready, leave all his food and water inside so when he gets hungry he will have to return to the cage to eat and then you can close the door, that way you do not have to handle him.

I wouldn't try to force yourself on him at this time but talk to him softly and maybe play with some toys where he can see you and pretend you are having a wonderful time.

I have been told that pet greys do not make good breeder birds and breeder greys do not make good pets so you may have to work at this for a long time and I am talking in terms of years, he will not come to trust you for a very long time so I can't stress patience enough.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so read thru them at your leisure and do ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I would ask you to share some pictures of Roscoe with us but taking a photo may be too stressful for him at this time but if you do already have some then that would be great.

Hi, it's wonderful that you chose to give a forever home to an older grey. I don't have any experience with greys but like any animal, love wins over every time. Just continue to be patient and caring, talk to Roscoe, leave the cage door open when you are present and handle treats and toys you know he will like in front of him to entice him, let him come to you. With your patience it will all come. Roscoe is a lucky guy to have you. I salute you.

respect-053.gif

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I may have to invest in a good set of earplugs when I try to rearrange things with him in the cage. :laugh: Do you find that it is less stressful to do it that way instead of catching him up? Either way, I don't think he is going to be happy. At this point, how often should I rearrange and swap out perches and toys? I am ready for however long it takes him to come around (if ever). I will try to get some current pictures. I have some from when I first got him, but his poor beak was all chipped up. It looks much better now. Anyways, thanks again everyone.

I think it would be more stressful to catch him to get him out. He is already terribly afraid of people and it will only make things worse if you handle him like that by grabbing and forcing him out. He is going to scream and bite and do what ever he can to get away and that would only give him more reasons to be fearful.

I would go at his pace and it will take some time and as Judy said breeders don't make very good pets and it will be a long time to get him where you want him. In some cases I've heard they will never become tame. :(

I wouldn't push him at all for the first several months of him begin there. Its just going to take time. How much is not known. It all depends on you and the Roscoe;)

Welcome FurnFeathers!!

It's GreYt having you here. I agree with the others that have given advice in regards toweling etc. to get him our of the cage. Waaaaayyyy too traumatic and makes you the enemy.

This breeder is going to take a long time to come around. Cloe human interaction is not something he is used to or welcomes. One other thought also, you mentioned toys and rearranging perches. Unless the toys were already in there, he is probably really freaked out by them and they should be removed. Things such as toys need to be introduced slowly and lay them in sight where he can see them from the cage. Then move them closer and closer until you can hang them on the outside of the cage until he becomes used to them, then finally inside the cage. Moving the perches around and changing his environment is probably not a good idea either.

Just leave things in a static state until he feels comfortable and secure inside his cage. Sit next to it and read, watch TV and of course talking sweetly to him. Get him to understand you are there to help him, not harm him. Try feeding treats through the bars once he seems comfortable and not alarmed.

I look forward to hearing more from you and good look in this rescue operation!! :-)

Okay, thanks. He seems to love his toys. He loves to shred wood and cardboard. I think he feels safe and is content, but he just doesn't like people getting too close (which is understandable). I'll keep everyone posted if there are any breakthroughs. I really appreciate all feedback! :)

Hi and welcome to the board!

First of all, good for you for rescuing Roscoe and taking good care of him. We just got our first TAG a week ago and she was, too, adopted. However, we were lucky that she knows step-up and was handled a little. She isn't completely settled in yet and bites HARD! But we're working with her and she is definitely coming around.

When you open his cage door to see if he will come out, are you standing near? Maybe you should try opening the door, sitting on the floor, and talking softly to him. Will he take any fruits, veggies, or nuts from your hand? Offering food from our hands and talking softly seems to be working with our rescue.

Keep us updated on Roscoe's progress and patience is a virtue. Nothing is going to happen overnight, but a little progress each day or week will make a HUGE difference over the years to come.