NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Microwavable Items...

Goralka08

:whistle: I've read (on several sites) that microwave popcorn fumes are toxic to birds....I'm guessing from the internal heating mechanism they contain.

One site is here:http://www.ohboyparrotfood.com/articles/holiday-food-and-kitchen-safety-for-parrots.html

Now, is a microwavable pot pie w/ those metal browning tops going to be toxic too?

We already know about Teflon toxins, etc...but now we're being paranoid about EVERYTHING :) since McKenzie just came into our home.

We have 2 canaries that were housed in the same spot that McKenzie is right now, and I swear (99% sure) that my dad has cooked the same pot pie and nothing happened to our small song birds. But we just want to be on the safe side with our new grey.

Thanks in advance for all your responses!<br><br>Post edited by: Goralka08, at: 2008/12/09 01:18

No, the micro won't hurt your bird but if that makes you worry, just make sure that the bird is away from the micro although I know it won't unless it's face is right near the door. Micros give out radiation, not fumes. Metal will spark and flame in a micro. The*metal browning top* is not metal. It's the same material that paninis sit on in a microwave. It looks like aluminum but it's not. I doubt that you'll find the words *metal or metalic* on a microwaveable pot pie or any other item that's microwaveable.