NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Factor Grey's

CeasarsDad

• 2 weeks later...

CeasarsDad wrote:

The color tint could be the result of an incorrect white balance when the photo was taken..

I saw one in real life, like I wrote before in this thread. Amazingly, the color in the picture is very true to the color the bird was.

That pic was from a member of another forum I frequent.

I have no idea where she got it.

But you'll all notice the iris; this bird is at least 2 years old and past it's first molt, so the coloration should be permanent.

The big question I have is how much inbreeding did it take to produce this bird?

Unless, of course, a breeder was lucky enough to find a breeding pair with this much red.

• 8 months later...

Dorian has some "pink" on her feathers around her legs. But I haven't really noticed any anywhere else on her yet. Those pics of the almost all red factor are amazing/strange...is it like the blue and white one, do they charge more for the red factor?

• 2 weeks later...

Responding to earlier questions in this post about if TAG's can have the red factor, yes, I believe they can. My Lyric is 20 months old and has some red feathers underneath his wings. He also has one feather on the back of his head that has a pinkish cast to it if looked at under good lighting. I'd take a picture of underneath his wings but he doesn't like me messing with them. His father has some random pinkish/red feathers too so I believe it is inherited. That's just my opinion of course.

russmars

Normally, the type of bird you're referring to isn't bred intentionally for that color. It's genetic or it's an excess of the caratoid gene. Many birds lose much of that red coloring after the first or second major molt. When you purchased your bird, it probably had that genetic marker but I think you didn't actually ask for that specific colored bird. Some of those birds wind up keeping that excess coloring throughout their lives. In other words, the bird's color can be classified as an *accident*. Most people who breed greys don't specifically try to create that red color type bird because there's no guarantee that the chicks will come out with even colored red areas in the places you'd like and as I've said, there's a quantity that eventually lose that marker. Just like Lyric said, the father had some random red in it, but I'm sure that the reddish color that she's seeing on her bird is not in the same area that the father's red was in.

As far as breeding your bird, is the bird a pet grey? If so, do you intend to keep it as a pet grey?<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/04/25 20:05

Many young grey's have a lot of extra red feathering ( a lot of this is due to the hand-rearing formula) most of these grey's moult out the red feathers at first moult and don't regrow any more.

Other reasons for red feathers are far more sinister and most Greys with PBFD develope them. Also birds with kidney disease and some who have damaged the feathers regrow them red.

Then just to confuse matters you have the adult birds who just naturally have extra red feathers who are 100% healthy. I have one male who has red feathers towards the bottom of his chest, only about six feathers but with every moult he regrows them in the exact same place and has never developed any more.

If a mature Grey suddenly developes extra red feathers it is usually always a cause for concern.

The bird is 5 yrs old. He has been check out by a aviary vet that owns greys. I rescued this bird about a month ago. He has become somewhat tamed to my family. I have also heard that this can be a genetic trait that with careful breeding can be brought out. I dont know if this is wrong or not but I like the way he looks. That is why I want to breed and bring it out.

• 7 years later...
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone has one of those "Red Factor" African Grays.. You know, where they have red feathers popping up on their bodies.. Ceasar has red factor on his lets.. I'll get a photo of this soon..

Hello I'm new here and do not have an African Grey yet. I've been looking for a baby but recently came across a store/breeder that's well respected and she has three greys about ten or so that are very relaxed I got good and bad reactions from all three. One happens to be a tag red factor and two congos around ten boys I think. Non red factor. I'm very interested in the red factor as she stepped up immediately but I could almost tell she was perched on me because she was asked to not because she was really comfortable after awhile she still tried to fly away and almost ran off my hand to her cage when I was done. I didn't see the others but the owner seems to think the other two will perch on me first day and will be fine after they're rehomed given some time. They all talk. The tag has a cute voice. Anyway my expierience with the red factor didn't seem that great but what was funny was when she was in her cage I talked to her and she was like yawning with her neck all stretched out looking at me. Is that a sign?? I'm going back again today to see another one and what reaction I get. Any tips would be great

I would pay more attention to how the bird reacts to you rather than the 'red factor'. These birds are not prizes or trophies to show off, they are living sentient beings and are more often mistreated by people who get into them for the completely wrong reasons: "I want a red factor" would be one of those reasons. Your best bet is to go back and interact with all three and see which one shows a real interest in you and make sure you're in the right frame of mind. These birds become a part of your family if allowed to do so.

Once the novelty wears off you have a bird that requires a lot of work and time and attention. Make sure you are ready for that, don't focus on the 'red factor' want want want....