NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alex and Me

lyndaelyzoo

I just finished reading the book Alex and Me, and I have to say that I have never been so emotionally affected by a book in my entire life. Could not hold back the tears throughout the book, but it is truly an inspirational story about Alex, the parrot that changed our perception of of what it means to be a bird brain and the scientist, Dr. Pepperberg, who tenaciously studied avian intelligence in ways that challenged the traditional animal behavior models. It is a story about passion, animal intelligence, interspecies relationships, and dedication. It is truly the best animal story that I have ever read and I highly recommend it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I am 3/4 through this book. If you have not purchased, do so.

It is a great book that shows the non scientific side from beginning to end of the relationship, trials, good times, bad times etc.

I have become teary eyed, laughed my A$$ off at times and just get a much deeper sense of awe for this wonderful species.

I must put it down and walk away for time to digest just how deep all the things in between the lines go. It gives me time to reflect upon what I have done with Dayo, where I should be taking him and wonder if he thinks I'm a moron at times.......

I read "Alex and Me" about a month ago because I was thinking about life with an African Grey.

I was maybe 70% convinced at the time, and the story of Alex's relationship with Dr. Irene P. got me a lot closer. Then I found this forum, got help and support, and now we have Shanti, a six-month old male CAG. Total joy so far.

danmcq wrote:

I must put it down and walk away for time to digest just how deep all the things in between the lines go. It gives me time to reflect upon what I have done with Dayo, where I should be taking him and wonder if he thinks I'm a moron at times.......

Bad Judy jumping out again but I just couldn't resist.

Here we have it in black and white straight from the horse's mouth, "I'm a moron at times"

:laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :blink: :whistle: :cheer: :laugh:

No I had a very good Christmas but you know me, if I get an opening like the one you gave in that previous post then I am not going to ignore it.

I love it when a man admits he is a moron, even just at times and you get in your jabs too if I give you a chance so turn about is fair play.

Glad to hear you are still in a very merry mood, lets keep it that way, ok, love you too.:kiss:

My fiancé and I both finished this book recently. Took all of a day or so to complete while on vacation. Really hard to put down.

I enjoy Mark Bittner's comment/review also (the guy who wrote the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill) re. the book. Echoes my sentiment regarding the emotional intelligence of animals, and their intelligence in general.

It's refreshing to see Dr. Pepperberg's work being recognized. But, anyone who's ever had a bird knows that they have always been a lot smarter than the credit their given.

CHEEP CHEEP, AHOY! Oh, and Zeus liked it also, and has tried to shred the cover! :ohmy:

• 1 month later...

I am in the middle of Dr. Pepperberg's book and it is such a fascinating read. I have learned a lot about the cognitive abilities of Greys. I am going to adopt some the techniques and work on teaching Pax to identify objects.

Wonderful Book! I'm going to lend it to my mom when I'm finished with it.

Myself and my wife have started using the rival model method on Ernie last night trying to get him to understand the word "Toy". Its very interesting, even though he doesn't say the word you can see his pupils dilating bigger and smaller when we pass the toy and say the word "Toy". If we just hold the toy on front of him , he looks at it with normal pupil size but as soon as I say "What is this?" to him, his pupils start to dilate very fast and he cocks he head to look at the toy. Amazing so far. Just thought Id share this experience with you all

Cheers

Jason

Yeah, that's totally awesome. I've used the rival/model technique a few times; usually when I'm trying to teach Pax appropriate responses to questions like "How are You?"

She said "water" the other day too and since it was the first time I have heard her say it I was pretty excited. I then proceeded to hand her a dish of water and she wasn't interested. One thing we'll work on is using words in their proper contexts.