NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How much does your grey weigh?

Talon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kip has been a pretty steady avg of 360 grams since we've had her. I have recordings from 355-365 but no more fluctation than that. I always weigh in the AM after the big morning bomb. She is coming up on 1yr old, female CAG. She's on the smaller side but it seems this is a naturally healthy weight for her. There is a pretty large "normal" range for them, just like with people. They key is watching for significant changes (say more than 10% body weight). Of course on average TAGs are smaller than CAGs.

Hi dblhelix, welcome to the forum :) Glad to have you here!

It seems all birdies of the members here are in good weight. Good to hear that.

Does obesity in Greys exist at all?

I don't have a digital scale but we do have a accurate analog that is very good. And on that scale Max is about 430g-450g. He is only 13 weeks now. ;) But the breeder told me that his baby's are normally big but Max is very big. I could see it in his claws that he is going to be a big boy. :laugh:

splint101 wrote:

I could see it in his claws that he is going to be a big boy. :laugh:

Thats a give away for a big bird.. Just like a puppy dog. Ever hear a proud owner of a new puppy say "look at his paws, he's gonna be big" :)

Ceasar is also one of these "big cag's" He has been known to tip the scale at over 500 grams. These days he has been around 480-485..

Here he is.. Look at the size of his head.. :ohmy: This is one of my favorites of him.

cesar1.jpg

cesar1.jpg

CeasarsDad wrote:

FairY wrote:
Does obesity in Greys exist at all?

Hi FariY.

According to my Vet they can get overweight pretty easily. I think its a diet of mostly sunflower seeds that can cause the problem.

Thank you for the answer, CeasarsDad. I wonder how that would work out in the wild (nature). Depending on individual character? (because there they could eat sunflower-pits all day if they want to - if there are sunflowers around that is)

The thing is, keeping them in captivity is so different from the wild its hard to compare. In the wild they spend lots of energy foraging, watching for predators, courting, playing, mating and FLYING long disntances. While all of them are unique, in captivity many could be prone to obesity (depending on diet offered) since their natural instincts are to eat food while its there. Plus in captivity they do not spend nearly as much energy on anything as they would out in the wild. So, not all of them have the potential based on eating habits, but certainly some do become perch potatoes!

Yes, that's right. In the wild I'm sure they're far more busy all the time spending all those calories they're eating. I forgot about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a new CAG owner and new to this forum. I bought my Angie on 5/17/07 and the breeder told me that she was a little over 3 months. A week ago at the vet's office Angie weighed 14.1 oz = 399.735 grams. Today Angie weigh 12.3 oz = 348.705 grams. I took away her seeds a week ago at the advise of the vet. She didn't want to eat. She ate today the pellets for the first time a mixture of pellets, a little peanut butter with a little warm water. Now she has diarreah.

She is sooooooo sweet and spends equal time with my husband, our 8 year old daughter and myself and doesn't seem to have a preference for any of us yet.

Guest Monique

Usually when changing a Grey's diet it is done gradually versus all at once. If you google Harrisons they have a "conversion" method you can use. I can see why a bird would get diarrhea from a complete change in diet, same thing would happen to us :). Please keep weighing your grey if she doesn't start maintaining I might look at backing off your change and changing a bit more gradually.