NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

sick

nyahs__mom

Normally, if you have a cold and a cough, your bird won't get it unless you go over to your bird and sneeze or cough in the bird's face. The reason is that both the sneeze or the cough will have minute amounts of your saliva mixed in and then the bird can get sick. So, stay away from the bird when sneezing or coughing and make sure you have a kleenex or hankerchief if you do sneeze or cough in it's face.

The majority of diseases that we humans carry can't be transmitted to our fids or vice-versa. The few that can are called zoonotic diseases, such as H5N1 (bird flu) and Psittacosis. The common cold isn't one of them.

To give you an idea of which diseases are zoonotic, here is a link to a Wikipedia page on Zoonosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis

What everyone else said! The common human rhino virus (causes human colds) and the standard influenza virs are not communicable from human to bird. There are a few zoonotic diseases but in general you do not need to worry about giving them anything or vice versa. However, the viruses that cause us "colds" are different than bacteria we all have in our mouths and digestive tract. Whether you have a cold or not you should avoid transmitting your saliva to your bird as the bacteria in your mouth could make the bird sick. However even that is fairly low probability unless you are really swapping spit! Dont worry about giving your bird some kisses etc but dont slobber on them either! ;)

dblhelix wrote:

However even that is fairly low probability unless you are really swapping spit! Dont worry about giving your bird some kisses etc but dont slobber on them either! ;)

Very eloquently put Mark, Bravo. I couldn't have put it better myself. Of course, I have been accused of the same. ;-)

{Feel-good-0002006E}