NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

In case of FIRE!

Talon

Please everyone, we would like you to offer your suggestions as to your plan of escape for your birds in the horrible event of a FIRE.

When a fire starts, everything happens so quickly, and our feathered friends so quickly succumb to smoke, that we all need to be prepared as to how we will handle that situation if need be.

PLEASE HELP US AND LIST YOUR PLAN OF ESCAPE BELOW, so that we all may benefit from your ideas and save our birds lives.

I have each of their carrier cases beside their cages inside their carriers I have a gallon ziploc bag of food for each bird. Of course this gets replenished every Sunday.You may never know must be prepared. We do have a more exstensive evacuation plan due to the daycare.Everyone should have one though.

Thanx for the post.

I found this and thought I would share it with everyone, as it was not long ago we were evacuated from our home during the night due to a fire a couple of houses away.

EVACUATE YOUR BIRD IN A FIRE

Keep your bird's health in mind in the chance you have to evecuate your home due to a fire within your home or close by-

Fires can quickly change course and head toward your home, and in order to save your flock you must evecuate. Be prepared and ready for an evacuation from your home. Fires can be especially harmful for your bird and it's delicate respiratory system because of the heavy smoke and ash in the air.

MAKE A BIRD DISASTER KIT

Have a bird disaster kit ready to go next to your bird's carrier. A disaster kit will have supplies you'll need if you have to leave your home in quickley. It should contain bottled water, food and treats and any other supplies to help your bird get through the night. However, if you have more time to prepare for an evacuation, make sure you take into consideration the amount of time you might have to be gone from your home. Pack a box with enough food and bottled water for your birds to last more than one night away.

Have extra toys, food and water dises, newspapers (for carrier or cage clean up), paper towels and any medications that your bird is taking. "Anticipate that even if you are not in an area being evacuated (yet) YOU NEED TO PREPARE FOR IT NONE THE LESS."

PREPARE YOUR BIRD

Practice putting your bird in its carrier, and use the same carrier for the vet visits or other travel trips. This helps prepare your bird to being put into a carrier and for a possible overnight stay in a carrier. On the bottom or side of the carrier, write your bird's name, your name and contact information. Another option is to tape a clear document holder to the bottom of your carrier and inside include more detailed information about your bird and a list of emergency contacts in the chance you are separated from your bird.

Have your carrier ready to go at all times, with clean lining and set up near your cage or a front closet.

Make sure that you have enough bird carriers for each bird in your home..

Once you have left your home and in the car, keep all windows closed and turn on your air conditioner so it recycles the air in the cab. If you are worried about your bird having trouble breathing, drape a damp sheet over the carrier and it will capture some of the dust and soot. If you think that your bird may be suffering from one of them, bring it to a vet for fluids and oxygen.

Remember to always keep all your information updated.

Carolyn & Mika

These are all great ideas. I would only add to make sure trusted neighbors have a key to your home and know where your birds are in case you are not at home. At least neighbors, if it is safe to do so, can open cages and break windows to set your birds free if there is no time to transport them. I watched my father do this over 50 years ago so his beloved birds would be free and alive. That still makes me cry with both heartbreak and joy because they had a chance.

Thanks for sharing all these great plans and ideas.:kiss:

This is a great thread with tons of information and ideas for all of us to think about and implement a plan that best suits our particular environment and circumstances.

These are all very good posts.

One thing to note: If your Cage is on wheels or even if not. If there is not much time left to get your birds into a carrier, roll of carry your cages outside with the help of another immediately if smoke is already present. They will die very quickly from smoke inhalation.

Remember, miners used to take birds in the mine with them. When the bird died, they knew there was odorless gas they had not detected and would leave the area.

This just shows how sensitive your birds are to any type of inhalant, even when you or I can not detect it at all.

Time is always of the essence in emergency situations such as this.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/10/23 15:52