NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cast Iron Or Stainless?

tibanks

Ok Folks I openly admit I have kept birds in my home for over 20yrs, & I am still using teflon for cooking. Please dont give me the 3rd degree I've read and heard the horror stories. I know I need to make a switch which leads me to questions.

Last year we bought stainless steel, and I really dont know if its me or what, but I have a hard time using the pans. I have to add lots of extra fat/oil when using these pans, and we really try to cut our fat. I am so use to using the teflon, that I am having a hell of a time switching over. Not to mention the stainless seems to cook so much hotter, it's hard to find just the right setting, and things are burning. Im wondering if Cast Iron would be a better alternative.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice? Any suggestions? I want to forget about Teflon, but my cooking isn't the same w/o it.

Cooking with stainless steel isn't that hard and most foods come out tasting very good. For a person new to SS, there will be timing differences that a person has to find out about. I imagine that whatever fat or oil you put in has to do with what you're cooking. They cook well and clean well and good SS will last a long time BUT if you can actually get extremely good cast iron pots and pans, then go for it. All foods taste great in cast iron. I have 3 very heavy duty cast iron cooking utensils which belonged to my grandmother. I was a child and she was using those utensils. It's been 45 yrs since she died and those 3 utensils are going hot and strong. The cooking quality is fantastic. She had a an 6 piece set and I wish I had the rest of them. Each utensil is very heavy.

I love my stainless steel cookware and I also use the cast iron skillets. My mom used to use the cast iron all the time, its good stuff but you have to take care of it. It has to be seasoned right or it will rust but for some things I wouldn't use anything else.

I bought a really good set of ss last year and I love it I've always used My cast iron for frying though I have had my cast Iron skillets since I left home 35 yrs ago I have a small med and large and couldn't live without them they are well seasoned and I keep them that way. AS for my ss skillets they sit and never get used I never got the hang of using ss for frying so I guess they will be brand new for ever. oh well they look nice hanging from the rack in my kitchen.

I have 3 cast iron skillets, lg, med & sm. They hold heat much better than stainless. And yes they need to be seasoned. There is a whole ritual to seasoning a skillet if you clean it rather than just wiping it out. I use them only for special foods or occasions. Stainless is my everyday ware and love that micro!!!

OK...I am so glad this topic got brought up. I need to buy some frying pans but all I can find that have no nonstick is cast iron. OR WAY expensive SS. Problem is I can not cook with cast iron due to how heavy it is...I have muscular dystrophy with SIGNIFICANT upper body weakness. Anyone have any resource to where I can find the SS fry pans that are reasonably priced? Also once I do find some...how in the heck do I cook with them? When I was a kid I remember cooking with my mom's SS and EVERYTHING would stick!

Fairymyst, I suffer from MD too, so I can totally relate to how heavy the Cast Iron is. I guess there is no real easy way around it but to try to keep experimenting and using my SS. I will throw a small cast iron in the mix and see how that goes. We have an electric stove/cooktop so I think that plays a factor into how things cook as well. Im not going to give up trying..Thanks for the comments.

I just moved into a new apartment and for my housewarming gifts, I asked for stainless steel cookware sets. My aunt got me some baking pans and some skillets that are stainless steel, and again I am just like you I am adjusting as well (haven't cooked since I got Woody cause I had teflon!) lol I have figured a few things out however, and stainless steel food tastes great with a bit of extra butter :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...