NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

plucking

kimmie_30

ok my grey is 10 months old and i was wondering if they loose there baby feathers, i have noticed that he is plucking out his chest feathers, he was bald in one spot then started growing new feathers in there, and now there is another little part on his chest that is missing a little hair. i thought maybe it was due to he is bored so i bought more toys and everything and he is healthy nothing wrong i was just wondering if they loose there baby feathers, could someone please help thank you.

Normally they will molt really heavy around the neck but I've never really seen a molt cause thin/bald spots on the chest. It sounds like it could be plucking and getting him new toys is one of the best first steps to get it to stop. Maybe bump up the baths too, just incase it's dry skin...and there is never too many baths for greys.B)

If you could post a pic.

At 10 Months and the fall coming on, your Grey is going to begin his first and heaviest molt of his life over the next several months. The first to start going are all the down feathers and then the neck, chest and other similar sized feathers and then moving on to larger ones.

The appearance of very small bald spots are normal, but they should not become more and more pronounced. Most bald spots are only visible as you move feathers or as they preen and you see them. He may be getting a little aggressive at the removal of feathers ready to Molt out.

You should put some full strength Aloe gel on the bald spots to relieve irritation and also remember to thoroughly drench your Grey with a mist bottle containing 100% Aloe Juice to keep his skin nice and supple and less irritating.