NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

wot is the best way

tony1986

When Baxter bites I tell him sternly "no bite" or "be nice" He understands it too. Sometimes he will bite down lightly on my finger and then start to put more pressure like "how much can she take,haha" and when I say no bite or be nice he eases up on the pressure. When he doesn't let up I say it more sternly;)

He hasn't bit me in a long time but I have learned his eyes and body language. I don't mess with him when he's in a cranky mood. I'll come back and try later and that works for both of it seems.

So many times I put my hand out to him and he runs backwards. It's aggrevating. He spends most of his time on top of the cage and if I want him to step up for me I have to get on a chair to be taller than he is:P and then he will do it without running because he knows hes trapped. But If I'm not taller, he's not coming;)

Another trick I learned about biting I got from a book. They called it earthquake, when they are on your hand or fingers. Baxter my grey doesn't need this but I have a new eclectus that can be pretty nippy if he gets the chance. The book said (and it works great for me) that if you see they are about ready to bite and they are on your hand to give your wrist a slight turn or rocking motion, just enough to get them a little off balance so they will have to regain their balance and the thought of biting passes at that moment because they are concentrating on something else. This has worked wonderfully for me and Tigger and has prevented many many bites.:silly: Because of this I don't even have to scold him or say no bite. I act like it never happened because it didn't. It got prevented:)

After getting bit by Tigger I have put him in his cage for a time out and he lets out little crying noises, but let back out in 5 to 15 minutes. I haven't done it enough to know if it works on him because I started the earthquake thing.

I have noticed that what works for one of my birds does not always mean it will work on the other one. Each bird is different. Just have to find what works but I think there are many knowledgable members and surely someone will tell you something that works good for you.

Yes, the firm "NO" and the stink eye work great! Parrots understand facial expressions so give the look your mother would give you when you were getting into trouble. I also use the "earthquake" method with the birds at my work. When they reach out with the beak and you know it's going to bite through them off balance a little bit. They have to regain their balance and they don't like it.

I agree with everyone and what they've said. however, that being said, i don't use no, but a short, sharp clipped word like 'don't!' because greys like long o sounds and might like the oo part of no. also, after your grey is done misbehaving, ladder him a few times (like a total of four steps ups with praise for each one) to set him back on track and put your connection back on positive terms.

Misty is out of his cage nearly all the time except at bed time.

He prefers to be with me all the time. If he does bite me which can happen if he thinks I am not paying him attention my reaction is to say "Bad boy, no biting"

in a firm voice. He is then put in his cage for time out. His response is to say "Be good boy" "No biting" and then "Can I come out" . He clearly understands that he has displeased me. I release him from incarceration after two minutes and he is fine. He is generally very well behaved and he never bites me in a bad temper but sometimes in frustration.

:)

Im a big user of the word "Dont" or "Dont Do It" and the evil eye. Mine likes to try to test me sometimes as I put her back on the perch in her cage. I also try to keep eye contact, and talk to her so I know I have her attention to distract from a possible biting moment.

T