NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

AGC parrot brought home yesterday

udbluehen

ive just brought my long lost companion yesterday. Our first day went very well but he got cranky towards the end of the night until the afternoon the following day. He is 6 years old and has a vocabulary and has yet to speak around me being this is only day 2. ive done a lot of research but still have my own person questions that i would like to have answered. i would also like to talk on the phone with someone in my same situation so that maybe we can talk regularly.

Hi udbluehen and welcome to the forum.

Have you any other birds or is this your first?What is your greys name?

Would love to speak on the phone but I am in the UK!

Ouch, just think of those phone bills:laugh:

Ask any questions you need answering on here, there is normally someone on to give advice or look through the threads as this may help you.

Caroline:)

my birds name is storm he is 6 and is currently sitting on my arm as it get pens and needles while i type this. i got him yesterday and i think hes warming up, i talk to him all the time and if i goto class or step out i tell him and or leave the tv on for him.

Welcome Udbluehen and Storm!

Sounds like Storm is adjusting really well and warming up to you quickly. Leaving the tv on is a great idea. I either leave the tv on or some music playing when we're going to be out of the house. My guys seem to enjoy it. If you have any photos of Storm we'd love to see him. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey together :)

Hello Udbluehen and welcome to the family, so glad you have decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Storm.

Storm needs more time to settle into his new home and of course at 6 years of age he probably comes with some baggage but just be very patient with him right now.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads, read thru them at your leisure and do ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Yes please share some pictures of Storm if you have them, we would love to see him.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have tried to teach my grey certain words or phrases but he just picks up on the words and phrases he wants to say. I brought my grey home when he 12 years old. He didn't talk in front of me for atleast a month. Only when I would be in another room. Then one day he just talked away with me right there. He is comfortable talking in front of me but barely talks when my husband or anyone else is around. Some days he talks alot, other days he hardly makes a sound.

I would never try to stop my grey from making his sounds. I have heard they talk and make noises when they are happy so I would never discourage it. My grey goes through his entire vocabulary and his noises, too. I enjoy this and never thought it was ever annoying. It thrills me that I can hear him make his sounds and say his words, It makes me feel like I am doing something right. Let him talk away because he is happy and content during those times and obviously comfortable around you. That is part of the fun of having a grey;) .

yes it depends on the words they want to learn.I would tell Alcazar Good morning everyday and Goodnight, I love you every evening before bed and he wont say it back.Started teaching him things of his food or water and he picks up those words just fine.I think the parrot just knows which words are the manipulators.haha

does anyone take they grey outside at all? this morning i flew to the ground when i woke up, not sure if it was because of me picking up my towel and he thought he was going to get clipped or goto bed etc. i picked him up and went about my morning routine with him on my shoulder.

Welcome udbluehen!!

The towel probably frightened him, as you suspect.

Some of us do take our Greys outside. But, they go out only on a fight tether, in a cage or in a carrying pack. Even though a parrot is clipped, they can still fly if spooked by something.

yuh the first thing i did when i brought him home was goto the pet store to get the necessary things and home depot and bking for myself on the way home and i brought him along. i told the old owner and he was like u did whatttttttt? i was like i took him outside, he said ummm that bird must really like you cause i that was a huge risk you took. After hearing that i was defiantly scared, since then i took him out just once after that. i want to go get his wings clipped today but i kinda dont want the pet store doing it being as though we just met and he would think i let someone harm him. im thinking of calling the previous owner over to do it.

Welcome to the world of greys, you are going to get bit from time to time, its just a fact of life of living with parrots but he was trying to tell you something.

Don't stay away from him just because you got bit, he will know you are afraid of him and he will do it all the more. They can sense if you are afraid of them and will use it to their best advantage. Next time you go to have him step up ball your hand into a fist and offer the back of your hand, the skin will be tighter and harder for him to get ahold of a chunk of flesh.