NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Teach the Step up Command

siobha9

Amazing... how many people have trouble with step up, and step down. First thing....practice stepup and stepdown, off the door. I have NEVER put my fingers inside their cage for ANY reason! Its their domain, and they dont appreciate your fingers. Open cage door, play games in front of cage. Include entire family. Once your baby is interested, they will come on the door, or climb down to check things out. Sophie learned stepup thru games. In all the years that I have had her, I have never put my fingers inside her cage other than to clean it. Of course I can put my fingers in her cage now to stepup, because she loves and trusts me. I still tend not too, as I respect her cage as her domain. I let her know when I am planning on cleaning it, she immediately goes to her gym. Nancy

• 2 months later...

Hahaha, already training you I see! They get us trained way quicker than we can train them.

Keep offering your hand out and when he/she starts "stepping up" praise him or her or offer the favorite treat as a reward. (a small amount or you will be waiting there a while before you can move again, lol) Practice by laddering, one to the other hand until he/she is comfortable with it. Oh, teach this with both hands too, one day you could have an injury to the one they are use to and will need them to be able to go to the other hand to step up. But take your time and enjoy these baby days, they grow up so fast!