NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I need advice ASAP

Jadewolf32

OK I have a almost 4 month old Timneh, now I have a issue I need help with, it has been keeping me up at night.

I got that split level house bird cage, its hugh, when I first brought him home he seemed so little in the cage, and a bit over whelmed so I went and found another cage on Craigs list, The Ez care one, he LOVES that cage good size for him, but I noticed there is rust, now it is not where he can get to it but it is getting worse, so I am NOT going to keep him in the cage, SO do I buy another one like the one he has and let a 600.00 cage go to waste, or do I try him in the big cage again? I have to figure this out and I do not want to stress him, he is weaning, and I am going in for surgery Sept 11th with a over night stay and he is a momma's boy BIG TIME so THAT is stressing me also, but so is this cage, do I switch him? If so, now or wait until after weaning and my surgery? Im driving everyone here crazy, I do not know what to do, I really can not afforde another new cage, my husband was mad that I spent 600 on the big one just to buy another one....Someone please help me here~

Barbara

If that cage is rusting then I agree you must not use it. You say the split level cage is so huge but was he frightened of it? You said he was overwhelmed but if he was not scared of being in it I would go ahead and use it. It is probably about the same size as the one I have for Josey, my grey and she loves hers. It has one side that is lower than the other and has a playtop on it is exactly like Josey's.

Maybe you can put the perches down a little lower until he gets more secure in his footing. They really need the larger cage with enough room for them to spread their wings and not touch the sides.

I have to agree with Judygram on this. You may need to change the where you locate the perches. Make sure they are close to the bottom of the cage so there isnt a big fall if he fall off his perch.

I changed my cage settings quite a few times to get it just right.

Nims

I would switch him to the larger Cage. At 16 weeks old, he should be fledging and have pretty good capabilities and coordination. The larger Cage will also let him flap those if he does fall to land without harm. I would imagine from 10 weeks on he has been climbing to the top of the cage inside anyway, as most do.

You'll have over a week with him to get used to the larger cage before you go into surgery and he should be feeling comfortable in it by then.

I wish you well and please keep us posted on this. :-)

Thank you everyone I will be switching cages today, I did switch locations when I took him out of the big one and got the second hand cage, so now I will bring the big cage out to the dining room where the cage is where he is at now, ( no worris when I cook he goes back to the bird playroom, that is where the other cage was, i think that had something to do with him being over whelmed as well, he was not in the main part of the house ) MAn this is harder then having and raising a human baby!

Hi Jadewolf32 -

I agree with what the others have said. Go with the bigger cage for a variety of reasons (no rust, ultimately more space/fun for bird, new, good use of investment etc). If your bird is unstable at this age and prone to falls then lowering the perches is a great practice at first. If your bird is already well balanced/coordinated then this may not be necessary.

Remember that they key off you. If you are anxious, nervous or scared they will be too. If you beleive everything will be fine then chances are they will! They are actually quite hardy and with a bit of patience and encouragement can adapt to most environments. I imagine that you are a bit stressed at this time with surgery coming (I would be). So for what its worth try and keep this general rule of thumb in mind throughout your birds life.

I hope the surgery goes well and am confident your baby can adjust to the new cage in the next week before your procedure. Keep us posted and all the best. B)