NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sound Proof Cage Cover

Quickdood

Hello,

My apartment is not too noisy at night but it seems like it may be noisy enough to keep my CAG Lily up sometimes. I got the idea recently of making a sound proof cage cover for when it is time for her to go to sleep.

So far I found an 8x3 foot sound absorption sheet online which might do the job (link on bottom). I was thinking of buying three of these sheets and sewing them together to make a cage cover. Anyone here do something like this yet or have any advice or comments?

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/Products/Audimute-Sound-Absorption-Sheet---LONG---Single__-aste-AMS-L-1-aste-.aspx<br><br>Post edited by: Quickdood, at: 2008/08/28 03:30

I thought about that but I figured that the bottom of the cage will still be partially exposed which would allow some air in and out. Also I wonder how much air a parrot could actually breath when at rest. Lets say the cage is completely air tight(which it wont be) there is about 32,400 cubic inches of air in my cage that seems like a lot of air for a parrot to breath in one night while at rest.

As far as the hot and stuffy part you may be right, I may design vents facing away from where the sound is likely to come from. Thanks for the input keep it coming :cheer:

Here is what wikipedia says: Damping is the process by which sonic vibrations are converted into heat over time and distance<br><br>Post edited by: Quickdood, at: 2008/08/28 04:06

It will get hot and stuffy in there. Soundproofing works to absorb sound as a form of energy. That energy then turns to heat (it has to do something). I've been in a completely sound proof room when training in Television Broadcasting in college, it got hot in there really quickly. The cool part was I was able to hear my heart beating, the blood rushing through my veins, and the tendons of my body creaking as I moved.

I was thinking of making the same thing for Loki, since Kim and I tend to be up late, and his cage is in our Livingroom near our TV.

You'd have to be extreemly careful of letting air in and out, as well as heat. Enough vents that it would make a lot of the purpose of that cover moot.

Wow just learned something. I had no idea that sound would be turned into heat energy. Thanks for that. Hmm this might mean back to the drawing board for me...

Here is what wikipedia says: Damping is the process by which sonic vibrations are converted into heat over time and distance<br><br>Post edited by: Quickdood, at: 2008/08/28 04:06

I used to use a sound proof room when I would practice the Cello during the bands practice time and it would get really hot in there. There was vents and all that in the room but it couldn't keep up with the heat I would produce being in the room and playing the cello...lots of noise to turn into heat. I would say if you really wanted Lily to get uninterupted sleep the thing to do would set up a sleeping cage in a quiet room.

Broomer I don't think that your tv will bother Loki. If he is now with 150 other birds the tv will seem quit in comparision. Alex and Martini live in the living room as well. They go to bed and get covered at 9pm every night. Durning the week the kids don't go to bed until 10pm. Weekends my son has been known to stay up until 2am. It doesn't bother them in the least. Really unless your bird is getting up on the wrong side of the perch I don't think some noise is really bothering them.

Oh I figured that, just the last thing on my list to be worried about other then the three feedings schedual when Loki comes home. But, hey, if I have to get up early, feed him, and doze off for an hour or two, then no problem.

Kim and I tend to be up until about 3am on the norm. wake up at around 10am. Kim works late evening shifts if you're wondering, and I wait up for her, so I can see her (i'm a night owl anyways). So for the fist few weeks I might have to get up at 7'ish to feed him, feed him again around noon, then when I get home around 10pm. Not exactly a perfect 7-8 hour between meals schedual, but I'm sure he'll be weaned off the 2 early meals in short order. I'll happily give him an evening one around 10pm when I get home for as long as he wants it. :)

We had similar concerns about ponti, as our household usually has the living room light on and the tv on until 3am sometimes, with others getting up around 5am, so there's only a couple hours of peace and quiet that the living room can offer the birds.

What we did was get ponti used to going into her travel cage as a "sleep cage" at night. Some time between 8:30PM and 9:30PM every night ponti starts asking to go to bed, and we put her in her sleep cage, and take her off into the spare bedroom and she sleeps on the dresser in there in her travel cage, which we cover with a towel. (we leave the front exposed in the summer, and cover more of the front in the winter)

Maggie, on the other hand, is still frightened by her travel cage, (yeah they each have their own) and so we just cover her cage with a sheet and try to keep the TV volume low.

Post edited by: matt314159, at: 2008/08/28 15:22<br><br>Post edited by: matt314159, at: 2008/08/28 15:24

We were thinking of using the travel cage we bought (which is nice and big) as a sleep cage if it seems that Loki isn't getting the sleep he needs. The only drawback is that in our condo, there are not a whole lot of places to put him. He'd probably end up in the dressing area of our master bedroom, since it's somewhat enclosed.

When we move however (in 3-4-5 years) Loki will end up getting his very own bedroom hehe .. naaa not spoiled at alllll.