NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting my hair!

Kaskoo

Whenever I have kaskoo on my shoulder he begins to bite my hair..Hes not angry or anything..I think he tries to eat it.. Usually i tie it up..but when i tie my hair he usually tries to bite my ear if hes not balanced...and it hurts...alot:angry: What should I do? When I tell him no..he stops for a while and then goes back to biting my hair! :angry: :angry: :angry:

He is probably preening your hair for you,many greys do this to their owners,it is a sign that he is content being with you & is relaxed ;)

As for biting your ears,that's the risk from letting him on your shoulder,tell him no every time, get him to step up & return him to his play stand.Repetition every time I'm afraid until he understands.

Hmmm I remember reading in the papers some time ago, about a girl who became very ill from chewing her hair...doctors opened her up and found a huge mass of hair clogging her stomach. Hair is indigestible as are nails, so better not let him swallow any.

Then again, they probably swallow their own feathers a lot of the time.:S

I have really long hair down to almost my butt. So I hate when Rexxy gets on my my head he does this weird little walk in the fastest circle to twist my hair around his feet and band. Takes about 10 minutes to get it him un=tangled.

The other day I could not get get him undone and had to cut about 8 inches of a good chuck of my hair off :( . That was so scarry not cutting his foot off.

So now I try REALlY hard keeping him off and he hates it and my ear has been paying the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Kaskoo

Unfortunately but not uncommonly, your bird has become one of those parrots that has to be not allowed on the shoulder. It also happens to many other birds as they get older. With other birds, it doesn't happen. It's nothing to do with aggression. If he's now going for the ear lobes, the next area is the hair, neck, jewelry and possibly part of the face. His bites are gonna get harder and you're gonna get seriously annoyed and because when he's learned how to manuever around your shoulders, and that time comes that you've been annoyed enough and decide to remove him, he'll skirt around the back of your shoulders trying to avoid you taking him off and when you do finally corner him, he'll probably bite your hands. The worst place that you can have a bird who has the propensity for biting is the shoulder cause he can see all of you and you can't see all of him unless you have a mirror directly in front of yourself. Better safe than sorry.

its not my ears he bites, its my hair... and they are not actual bites, hes just trying to climb and use my shoulder and body as a ladder, I tried to stop letting him on my shoulder last week, its just that he will do climb all over my hands to get to my shoulder, and he just sits there and watches me. He does step up when i ask him too though.