NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

my first forum message

Jesse

We got Jesse, when she was 6 weeks old. She is now 3 months old. We later discovered at the vet that she has splay leg and we have been working with her withthe use of a splint, and teaching her to perch with a modified cage. She is managing very well with her disablity. Were on conversion and weaning food and hope that with in another month, she may be off it. I don't know how much longer she will need to be on the weaning food, but, have seen African Greys at 4 months in the pet stores for sale. I am also introducing her to people foods and am finding her to have a love to junk foods. She would prefer junk food and sweets to her vegetables. But, that is no different than the human species. She is getting a personality and is bird whistling a lot, when every one has left the room. She also responds to noises that she associates with food, such as the microwave and running water. She is also aware when were eatting and wants food from our plates. cell_039.jpg

cell_039.jpg

Hello Terry and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Jesse.

Thats unfortunate that your baby grey has a splay leg but if she was born that way then she doesn't know she is any different and will adjust to it very easily.

Be careful of the junk foods she eats, we have some threads in the bird food room that has lists of some of the things they shouldn't have but anything salty is definately out.

For lots of useful information please read thru the many threads and do ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

She is a precious looking grey and looks like a little sweetheart, thanks for sharing a photo of her with us.:)

Welcome Jesse!!!

It GreYt having you here. The good thing is your Grey does not know it has any type of disability. She sounds perfectly happy and seems to be thriving in your loving care and home.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more. :-)

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Splay leg, when the legs / leg is deformed and Jesse has a R leg that protrudes out. She was apparently born with it, and it can be caused when people breed parrots and the mother parrot doesn't get enough calcium in her diet. Splay leg can also happen from trama or injury when young in the nest. But, it is felt that the breeder didn't give the parent enough of the needed diet that she needed to have when her eggs was being formed inside of her. Yes, Jesse has a personality of loving, and wanting to be included with what is going on. She went with me on a trip from Mo. to Fla. and back. I went down for one week to see my dad. Jesse, is adapting to what we do. I am really glad I got a baby to start with, even though she is my first and were both learning as we go along. I have been doing a lot of reading about African Greys and this site is awsome. I am still new and learning my way around this site, and so far starting to get acquainted with some members. Thank you very very much.