NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

8 CAGS which one...?

Shaz

Hi all, great website, hopefully I can contribute more once I purchase my CAG next month.

I'm in a dilemma. I went to the petstore on the weekend to look at what african greys were available. There were 8 gorgeous 11 week old CAGs in total, 4 in each cage.

Although I wasn't going to buy one yet, I thought to myself which one would I have bought. Now the question, what behaviour traits should I be looking for when choosing an african grey??

I noticed 4 of them were sleeping, 2 were happily playing amongst themselves and 2 of them were staring me while not budging an inch. I tried to pet one of the ones that was playing statues and it opened it mouth as if to bite, so i backed away. The breeder tried the same and the CAG did the same thing. So the breeder told him off and he stopped. The breeder then asked for a kiss and put her lips next to the cage and this CAG kissed her. I was amazed.

I know that CAGS in particular are shy birds, but two were playing amongst themselves didn't care I was right next to their cage staring at them. The ones that were sleeping eventually woke up but were too dazed to bother me (i think!). The one I tried to pet later tried to open the cage door and the final one just observed from the back of the cage and started to flap its wings as if it was flying while holding onto the side of the cage.

All of them were lovely but at the end of the day I can only choose one. So obviously I want one that would bond with me the quickest. By the time I go back to this petstore I'm sure there will be a different flock...so any ideas what signs I should be looking for or anything I could quickly try to help me choose an african grey that would bond quickly??

No type of bonding between a person and a parrot occurs in a pet shop. That's a process that takes a while and that bird has to be living in a totally different environment away from other birds before it can begin. There is no such thing as 'quick bonding'. The owner proceeds to become friends with the bird at home. A bird misses the others that it was with and will not show obvious affection for you. Interest, curiousity---yes but no affection. At it's new home, the bird has to get used to a new environment, a new set of people, new surroudings, new family habits that go on.

When purchasing parrots basic things to watch for are active birds but again, that means very little if the birds are napping or relaxing.

By all rights, every bird that's for sale should be healthy. If not, refunds and or exchanges are available. Personally, I would never buy a grey from a pet store because no one can give any specific information about the parents (health-overbreeding). Compare that with pure bred puppies. A person has no idea if the puppies came from strong stock. Many puppies that are sold in pet shops come from puppy mills in which the parents are bred over and over and over until they're useless. I prefer private parrot breeders that will give much more info about the history of the bird. Their guarantees/warranties/exchanges are more legitimate.

The pet shop owner was also the breeder? Sounds strange.

"""So the breeder told him off and he stopped"""

Parrots aren't supposed to be scolded for doing what comes naturally.------Dave

Guest Monique

Hi!!! Congratulations on your upcoming Grey purchase!!

Which Grey do you want ... hmmm ... what is important to you? Do you want a chatty grey, one who is into everything ... one who is more laid back?

Once you've decided what type you want then I would visit the store several times and get input from those who work with the birds and observe, take notes, hold them. Write down the band numbers of one you make observations about - then come back the next day and do the same thing. I would do this at least 4 or 5 times and you should be able to spot some patterns of what birds fit with what you do or do not want.

Also - birds check lots of things out with their beaks. Yes, they can and will bite. But this is also their way to check if a perch is sturdy. They also learn quick if you move away when they try to beak you - that this is an effective method of getting away from you.

Good luck!!

Hi, thanks for the great advice and useful info.

I personally would prefer a chatty and active grey. I did whistle a few times and one copied and whistled back, but I couldn't tell which one it was. The reason I'm purchasing next month is because I'm away on holiday during Easter. After I am back, I am going visit the petstore for several days and see if I can find one that likes me.

Thanks again for your input.

Hi - all of the above help you purchase your new grey. Remember that this is a commitment that will be enjoyed by all of you - including your grey.

Before we purchased our grey, we have found the following books very helpful in helping us learn a little to help OUR decision. I will just list book names so as to not offer any "links" to end in some profit for others.

"My Parrot, My Friend" - an EXCELLENT book that is worth the money. I was VERY stand offish on spending the $50 on this, but this book was very good at offering topics on parrots in general.

"Companion Parrot Handbook" - Ditto above.

"For the love of greys" - this was a book that I spent about $25 or on. It was paper print with a plastic binding at that time. I think it has gone to publication. But this was an excellent one that offers great recipies for home cooked meals to offer variety.

"The African Grey Parrot Handbook" - another great book about the grey.

These offer great ideas, tips, what to look for, ideal weights, food varietys, behavior, and so on. I don't pick them up often now that they've been read, but they are on the bottom shelf of my coffee table and I find myself reaching every now and then.

Enjoy and good luck

Hey Shaz, welcome here.

8 Greys to chose from. Wow, that must be difficult.

Good luck, and I agree with Monique you need to go to petshop at least a few times more so you'll see each individual character develop :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally did it, came back from holiday on Saturday and picked up Phoenix on Sunday. Waiting for the DNA test results so don't know if it is a boy or a girl, looks like a girl to me.

She is absolutly fab, 14 weeks and really tame. She adores the missus and myself. Even the kids from next door had no problems touching/stroking her on her head.

I will post some pics up soon.

Guest Monique

Congratulations Shaz!!!! Phoenix is a great name. So what was different about her than the others ... what made her steal your heart out of the group? :blush:

Well I took your advice Monique and visited the store a total of 4 times. It was very hard to elimintate, so it was a case of which one would bond. I noticed Phoenix would always come to the front of the cage whenever we visited. She would let both of us touch her, well most of would let you and nearly all would try to kiss you if you put your lips close the cage.

Phoenix made the most effort for me and so we picked her and I must say im chuffed to bits with the choice. I was unsure how she would behave around kids so i got 3 kids in from next door for a few mins who all had their fingers in the cage and she just wanted to play, didnt event try to bite once. She opens her mouth and tends to lick your fingers. Credit goes out to the breeder as they have done a sterling job!

Quick word of caution:

Birds can bite at any time with little warning, so although it seems ok now, that may change next week, next month or next year. Just be carful. My baby seemed very gental for the first month but started to clamp down recently. He can realy clamp down hard and I am having to tell him "NO" more often.

Ive borrowed a book from one of my friends and in there it says they lick your fingers because they have been hand fed and so when they see fingers they instinctly open their mouths expecting food hence licking your fingers.

It also makes the point of telling a grey a firm NO to stop this because as TheGreyMeister said as they get older they WILL bite.

I totally , totally disagree with the statement that no bonding occurs between a bird and a human in a pet store.

When my grey came into the pet store. Other people would come in and try to pick the bird up, only to get bitten or snapped at. One person even made the statement " That is a mean bird and it will never get sold ". I said, watch this !! I extended my hand to Scarlett and the bird stepped right up. I said , give me a kiss and I received many kisses from Scarlett.

The bird bonded with me in the store. Would not go to or want anything to do with anybody else. Whenever I walked into the store, the bird would fly down from its perch, walk up to me and wait for me to pick it up and hold it. If this is not bonding in a store, then I really would love to hear another description of what it is ?

After all is said and done, Scarlett came home with me and we have had eight very happy years together. Scarlett has even mellowed to allowing other people play and pick the bird up.

My wifes grey was also picked out from many other greys in a store. I know they bonded in the store. And I have bonded with many other birds in a sore. So, once again ............ not bonding in a store is a totally false statement in my mind !

Sincerely,

Dave