NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DISASTER PLANNING/ part 2

kittykittykitty

I'm not sure where to ask this and maybe there are other threads, but I didn't find them. Have any of you made special disaster plans for your Greys and other companions? Do you have kits? How do you store your supplies? Are there shelters where you AND your babies can be together? I haven't found much for birds on line.

:S :unsure: :ohmy: ;)<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/08/15 17:57

I never let my food get below a 5 day supply during fire and hurricane season. I also have a gallon of water for them too at all time and bump it up to 3 gallons during hurricane season. If there is a fire here then I won't need more than one because I have 4 different people that I can stay with and I can just use their water.

well, in my present geographic location we're blessed in that we don't get earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes or anything of the sort, so I don't really have much to worry about except for harsh winter weather and the occasisional power outtage. However, i keep enough food, water, paper for cleaning and cage liners etc for at least three days, usually about a week. i store them in a big bag right next to all my birds' carriers (which are right next to my cages) just in case. A recent issue of birdtalk had a good article on having an evacuation kit and what you should put in it, but unfortunately they haven't put it up on the website yet (it's the one with the AG on the cover), keep your eyes peeled and read the article when they do.

I have a big rubber maid tub that will go in a vehicle I have 5 day supply of kids food and dog food in containers and every two weeks I take out and feed the dogs and replenish w/ fresh. Theres also a 24 bottles of bottled water.

Thank you all for helping.:) Now I need to find a container I can handle, preferably one with wheels.:ohmy: And find the article so I can make a kit.:unsure: If I'm prepared maybe we won't have the BIG ONE??? ;) :whistle: :dry:Karma to all of you!!!<br><br>Post edited by: kittykittykitty, at: 2008/08/15 06:31

ok, finally found the article i was talking about in my closet, the article reccomends the following.

for your evacuation kit you need

-pellets and/or prepackaged snack

-unsalted almonds

-dry pasta

-dried fruit

-bottled water

-scissors for grooming

-nail clippers

-cleaning supplies of some sort to clean carriers

-toys if not in carriers already

-towel for restraining

-newspaper for carriers

-paper towels for cleaning/carrier bottoms

- and a BIG backpack to put it all in

i think that's all of it, just bring enough for however long you need and the article recommends sealing foods in airtight containers and re-checking your supplies periodically.

personally, i would also include a first aid kit with some quik-stop for nails etc, tweezers, gatorade or equivalent for electrolytes, gauze, disnfectant for wounds, masking tape or vetwrap... the list goes on, and a list of updated contacts for places where I could stay and vet clinics and their emergency after hours counterparts. hope that helps.

It's not cheap, but this is what I keep near my cages, for trips in the car and emergency get aways. http://www.flyingsouth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27 The canvas is removable and can be cleaned. The top of the canvas has a zippered pouch for supplies. The cage itself is stainless steel. Hence, why it costs as much as it does. Oh! I forgot to mention, in case it's not obvious, it's a backpack!

I also keep several first aid kits all in Sterilite containers. The containers are large enough to serve as emergency transports for trips to the vet.<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2008/08/17 19:36