NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Durians

darth_mint

Anyone know if durians are safe for birds to eat? Where I live, they're common and a lot of people love them (including me!) So I'm wondering if parrots can eat them too. (I have never seen birds eat them in the wild because the outer shell is just too hard for the average local bird to penetrate)

(For those who don't know what a durian is, it's a spiky, stinky fruit native to the tropics and by stinky, I mean STINKY :woohoo: )<br><br>Post edited by: darth_mint, at: 2008/08/05 17:47

I did a search and found this:

Durian. The locals in Southeast Asia call the durian (Durio spp.) the “King of fruits.” However, they describe its odor as something between rotting dead cats and unwashed socks. Durian is reputed to exacerbate high blood pressure and tradition indicates that you should not eat it with alcohol (106) . Every year, the newspapers of Thailand report one or two deaths from eating durian (NY Times, April 8, 2007). Raw seeds should not be eaten because they contain 1-Methylcyclopropene that may cause shortness of breathe. However, people do eat the seeds after they are roasted or boiled and then deep-fried. These seeds are a treat in some cultures. We know little about durian toxicity for birds.

I found that here. Granted, the site is about Caiques but it still has good info. I wouldn't personally feed it when there's tons of other fruits/veggies you know are safe. ;)

Meg

Now those two things are just about the stinkiest things I can think of and I don't think I could stomach eating something that smelled even remotely like that:sick: I don't care if it tastes like ice cream, its not going past these lips and needless to say neither will it be offered to my birds:sick: :sick: