NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Me and my Parrot(s)

Hallo everyone,

Today I'm heading down to a shop to get my first African Grey. I have to confess to a lot of nerves. I don't know if I can look after him properly. I've kept budgies for fifteen years, though they never bred; and I'm passing familiar with Eclectus and Cockatoos; and that's the extent of my parrot knowledge.

I can't explain why I suddenly decided to change from budgies to a Grey, especially when everything I've read seems to indicate that Greys have totally opposite personality profiles to the small and hyperactive birds I used to have around. But I found a fifteen-month-old Grey who gave me a funny sideways look at the pet shop and then stuck his beak through the bars and licked my fingers...

Anyway I hope to hear about other people's experiences with their Greys, get advice and hopefully do right by that ball of grey feathers who'll be entering my home in a few hours' time. Just got to remind myself he isn't a budgie...

darth_mint, welcome here :)

I would say this grey definitely chose you -

congratulations - and, love is more than half the recipe for taking good care of him cause without that nothing works, and you don't seem to lack that (else you wouldn't have bought him) :)

So really your grey is getting you today, because he picked you. There is your first lesson, greys are smart and like to get what they want. He knew exactly what he was doing with the look and the lick as he had picked you:)

Good luck and try not to be nervous. I have never had any experience with birds at all and now we have 2 greys.

Hello Darth_mint and welcome to the family, so glad you hqave decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new to you grey.

Yes greys are much different from budgies and the smaller birds but you get the basics of bird keeping and we will help you with the rest. You came to the right place for help from our many members who are willing to share what they know.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will do our best to find you some answers and help you in any way we can.

If you get some pictures of this grey and would like to share them with us we would love to see him.