NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Training To Talk

Trustdace

Well I have been training Congo to step-up and step down and has gone very well. I'm sure it has learned step-up 100% and step-down 80%. The kids and I are having so much fun, we have a blast and loads of laughs. Recently my daughter has taken upon herself the task to teach Congo how to talk. I spend the evenings watching her speak to Congo in a high pitched voice and Congo just staring at her and a little whistle or squeal is what he answers her. My wife asks do you think Congo will talk? My daughter answers, " yes mommy of course Congo will talk quickly, right daddy?"! I don't want to discourage her because she's so excited and I say yes baby Congo will. In the back of my mind I was thinking that there are no guarantees that a bird will talk and at 5 months old it is too young. Last night my daughter had Congo in her room conducting one of her training sessions. I could hear her say, " hey baby!" repeatedly in a high pitch. This went on for about 15 minutes. I was watching tv in the living room and she came out of her room and left Congo alone in the room. She began explaining to me her techniques and what she tought would work and briefing me on her progress. All of a sudden she started talking to Congo from the living room "hey baby!" "hey baby!" to my surprise Congo started making some weird noises like if it was in a rythm, something we never heard before! The wife even came out of our room saying what's that! My daughter was excited and went into the room and talked to him face to face but no answer from Congo. She said what happened it was making that strange noise before but now it stopped? She continued her training until she was exhausted and fell asleep. Today, just a little while ago, my daughter continued her daily talk training and Congo would just whistle and squeal. I was observing the whole operation and I asked her to come to the living room and be quiet and wait. After about 2 minutes Congo started making the noises again like if it were trying to talk; at least that's what it seems to us. She wanted to run into the room but I stopped her and told her to train the bird but from the living room where the bird cannot see her. Sure enough no whistles or squeals but these curious noises. Does this distance trigger the birds want to communicate? Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this? I would appreciate the advice. CongoT.jpg

CongoT.jpg

It seems that a lot of greys prefer to practice by them selves when they are first learning. I know our male grey would fly into another room and sit there trying to talk for an hour or so. If we walked into the room he would stop. So we sat in the other room and strained our ears to hear what he was saying and repeated the words to him from the other room.

When he got up the confidence he then started to talk in front of us. He then really thrived when we praised him for talking and got excited. He thought that was the best and kept repeating words.

Now my boyfriend has talking sessions with him. He sits on my boyfriends arm and just listens to him talking and learns. We know this because our grey repeats things he says within a couple of days. Also my boyfriend speaks Swedish, so our grey speaks Swedish, much to my disappointment as I speak English and I am the greys favourite person.

I knew a Macaw that said Helloooo in a question tone. And he only said it when you werein the other room as though he wondered if you were there and to call you to him. Once in the room he NEVER said it. The only word in all of 6-7 years.

Finnigan prefers to talk outside. We have a screened in lanai and when she gets out there on her boing...she goes to it. I have heard her say my son's name (like I'm yelling for him..exactly!), I Love You, Be Quiet (to the macaw), Be Careful, Hello...inside, she says Peek A Boo....and that about covers it. Go figure. Crazy birds.

Trustdace wrote:

I spend the evenings watching her speak to Congo in a high pitched voice and Congo just staring at her

It will be interesting to see when Congo does start talking properly will he talk in a high pitched voice, or in a deeper one. Despite the fact that I interact with Liath most of the time, she usually talks in my husbands voice:angry:

My CAG is a very good talker but even as well as he talks he does most of his talking when we are in the other room. His house is in our kitchen and you can see him from our family room. When we go in the family room he loves to talk to us. One of his favorite thing to do when we leave the room is he will ask us "are you all right?" Many times he will duplicate the phone ringing to get us to come back into the kitchen. When he sits with us to watch TV, he seldom talks at that time.

One more thing, depending on who teaches him the word or phrase, he speaks in a male or female voice. If your daughter talks to him in a high pitch, that's how he will talk. If she speaks to him in her normal voice, that's how he will sound. It is remarkable how they can imitate the exact tone. When Pascal makes his telephone ring, you cannot tell the difference between it and the real phone. The only clue we get is that when it is the real phone, he will say "hello." When it is him, he doesn't say hello.<br><br>Post edited by: pumpingironchef, at: 2008/08/07 21:48

Greys will only talk if they want to! Yes you can sit and talk all day to them but they tend to pick everyday words up in general if they are in the family room.

That is funny about Pascal, my eldest grey Charlie has started to do the phone ringing as well, as soon as I pick up the phone he shouts "hello", I think this shows how intelligent they are as well.

Some greys never talk, others are closet talkers and others will only say a few words.They are all different and learn things at different stages.;)

i think congo is a little to young to start talking. you should give up on the training and when you hear congo start to pick up some words that are said quite a bit like hello and bye, then you could start the training. just remember, parrots can get bored easily just like you would if you were forced to listen to the same words over and over agian so keep the lessons quick and frequent.

When we went to meet and get Harrison, she was already talking...she was 3 months old. I've never "trained" her to talk, she just picks it up from us talking to her or talking to each other. Although, things like "hiya hotlips" was something I wanted her to learn so I just started saying it to her...kind of training, I guess...she said it in no time. Right now I'm trying to get her to say "Okie Dokie Artichokie"...she has the first part down but the last word is a bit hard...she'll get it though. We just talk to her though...no treats or "training" the way you would think of training...just talking...I hope I made sense...lol

Well I continued the model training with Congo today. Instead of my daughter it was my son and I. What I do is I have some sunflower seeds on the table where she can see them and say hello. Then my son repeats it and I pass him a seed and he acts like he eats it.

The most we got out of Congo was to whistle after asking her hello. She does get in rythm though she whistles after I say hello. I think I will give up on the training because I do not want to encourage whistling.

What do you guys think?? CHF.jpg

CHF.jpg

Well firstly I think that lucky bamboo behind Congo is amazing! How old is it do you know??

I think Congo is too young to do model training on speech. When she can say a few words it will probably work much quicker and she will get the idea easier. Right now it is probably frustrating for her because she can't yet do what you want her to do.

Why not use the model training for something else, like colour recognition and see how that goes?

You always post the nicest photos Roger. :-)

Regarding talking.... they will talk when they are ready and after a lot of calibrating under their breath as you strain to listen in and try to figure out what all those faint, yet unrecognizable mumblings are.

One thing I have noticed with Dayo, is he picks and chooses what he says. It is all related to actions, foods or endearing types of words or sentences that he chooses to use.

We have said the same things over and over since he came home over a year ago. Most, he does not say. He will say his favorite food items for example when he wants them or he will ask to outside, when he wants to do so. On the other side, he will only say "I Love You" when he is interacting closely or going night-night. They truly are much more than just mimickers on Que for a treat. They have a level of understanding far beyond what the outside public thinks when they see a Parrot in a show just responding.

The way you are so into the development of your Grey. I know you have no worries of IF he will talk. But, get ready for the requests and demands that will soon come once he has associated all his favorite things to words.......Then the demands start ;-)

Oh!! Had to edit this to say "Happy Half a year a Birthday Congo"!!! :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/08/10 14:41

Thanks Dan I'm glad you like the photos. You are right about the grey's deep understanding. Congo has opened up a new dimension of enjoyment to everyone here in my household. Owning a grey keeps getting better and better for us everyday. Thanks for the replies guys.B)

Trustdace wrote:

Ok the bamboo plant is approximately 3.5 years old. When we got it it was about 2". It is the wife's favorite plant. Here's a pic of Congo on the plant. Hope you enjoy!

Its no wonder she loves it, I bought a couple about 3 months ago, now I have to try to get them as big as that one :laugh:

And Dan is right. Your pictures are beautiful. Of course the fact that the subject of your pictures is a baby grey really helps;)

My Grey is an older bird (will soon be 17) and they truly are amazing birds. He's no Alex but he has context down quite well - he's not just a repeater.

Some examples are: When watching TV at night with us, when he is tired he will say "time to go goodnight." In the morning before I go to work I have my first cup of coffee he will say "smell the coffee - I want some." When I am eating my breakfast, depending on what I am having he will say "I want a bite." When the plates are pulled for a meal, he will call out to everyone "dinner!" This level of speech doesn't happen overnight but Grey's are capable of much more than repeating what you say. It makes for one cool bird and for me, a bond that is difficult to describe.

pumpingironchef wrote:

It makes for one cool bird and for me, a bond that is difficult to describe.

I and my Wife can only describe our Grey as being our "Child". He is endeared as such, when he needs us we're there in an instant, we love him as such and are already sitting into motion the care-giver/Parent he will need when we pass on before he does, given their human like life spans.