NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breeding my 4 year old grey

elozano

Hi ppl.. im new to the forums. My name is Ernesto and i live in Monterrey, Mexico. I have a 4 year old Grey. I was thinking on buying him a girlfriend so i could start breeding Greys. But ive read that the chances of my two birds to actually breed is much lower if the birds are already a little bit grown up. However... i want to get him a bird friend for when im not at home... but i would apreciate your opinions on wheater or not you think if i buy him a girlfriend they will have babies?? thanks

You are right on the odds of the birds breeding isn't great...you should worry more about the two birds just liking eachother first.

I tell everyone that wants to get into parrot breeding that unless you know how to hand feed and will be able to hand feed a clutch of babies 5 times or more a day. If you have a full time job that probably means you can't feed babies all day, everyday, for weeks at a time.

I totally agree with Berna on this.Just by getting your grey a mate doesnt necessary mean they are going to bond with eachother,it takes times for birds to establish a relationship & there no guarantees they will.You would need to provide them with an outdoor aviary with accommodation,this would be strange for your grey if he is an indoor pet,to be thrown into this situation & personally i dont think it's fair on him.Breeding greys is a full time commitment & requires a lot of dedication.

I once read that you should never get a bird for your bird. The only reason to get another bird would be if you wanted another bird.

I had my conure before I brought home my grey. I got lucky - they get along for the most part. At least the play with each other and when they have a tiff, they usually just lunge at each other but don't hurt each other.

My understanding is parrots are odd creatures as it relates to other birds - they can get jealous and start plucking or develop other behavior issues.

So, if it were me, I wouldn't a bird for my bird - I'd evaluate what kind of companion animal I would be looking for, and then decide :)

Cheers!

Terri

Wow, thanks a lot for your advice. Well my parrot has 2 cages, one small one in my room and a big one outdoors, i just bring him in when at night or when i feel its too hot or too cold. My parot is outside however he isnt much of a wild bird, i put him to the grass, he doesn't move he stays just where i put him and starts biting gras hahahah. Ill first have a friend bring his parrot to see how my parrot reacts, because he has never met any parrots. Then ill consider my time and make a deep thinking on whehater or not i should get another parrot.