NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hates toys?

Anmlhggr

I have been reading how many of my fellow forumers Grey's love their toys and attack them, play with them etc.

I am just curious, Woody doesn't like his toys, he doesn't play with them, doesn't want anything to do with them. He has many, they are also the ones he came with, but he doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with them. Thus, I feel like I'm doing something wrong, like his life isn't enriching enough. He doesn't want anything to do with his play stand toys either. He is (apparently) just content enough to sit on his perch next to me and preen....all...day!

Any ideas on maybe making his toys more enriching? Or is he just "old" (6 years) and grown out of toys like my cat and dog hehe :P

I went to the Dollar Store a few weeks ago and bought Obi clothes pins. Wooden clothes pins. She LOVES them! She plays with those things every single day.

I have also put carrot and celery sticks in between some of her other toys, and she loves trying to get the carrot or celery sticks out of the toys so she can chew on them. Hope the ideas help.<br><br>Post edited by: Lovelylew, at: 2008/07/15 03:25

Doorknob rarely plays with his toy also. However, I think he just isn't 'bored'. He really only plays with his toys if he has to be in his cage for extended periods of time. He also seems to be cost savy, he only likes cheap toys. Every time I spend alot of money on toys, he snubs them. But if I give him some crumpled up newspaper or the clearance toys or old kids toys, he loves 'em.

Birds can be strange.

Have you tried enticing him, by playing with them yourself? And when he shows interest, take it away and say it's mine! They always want what they can't have, and if he sees you playing with it, and thinking it's off limits, he then might be more inclined to play with it. That's the only way I get Talon interested in most toys. :S

Birds can be like children, as young children sometimes will be given nice presents and toys for their birthdays and Christmas and lots of times they will sling them aside and play with the paper and the boxes they came in.

D you have raised a very conscientious and frugal grey, now how did you manage that, please tell us your secret:lol:

Since Woody is 5 or 6 years old. He definitely has his preferences and the toys you were given by his previous owners may not be anything exciting to him.

The others have given great ideas to try. They each seem to each have preferences and no one Greys likes or dislikes seems to apply to the next.

Some like shredding paper, wood, coconut hulls/strips etc. Some love to smack the snot out of big cow bells. Some like to climb up and down ropes and shred them.

Wad up a news paper sheet and place it in the bottom of his cage and see if he attacks and starts shredding it. A card board box like a 12 pack of soda comes in is also a fun time for them to go inside, hide and chew holes in them and peek out out you. :-)

As others mentioned foot toys are a big hit little short ropes 2 or 3 inches long with acrylic shapes and colors on them like baby toys or those acrylic balls with small holes with a bell dinging in them as they pick them up, throw them and then give chase to them to smack around a little.

It is more trial and error, than anything else. :-)

Now one other possibility, is he may actually not feel well enough to play. If he seems lethargic, doesn't have a good appetite etc. An Avian vet visit would be in order, especially if he has not seen a vet in years. There could be an underlying health issue if you do observe lethargy.

That you all for the good ideas! Now that I think about it he does love to shred fudge round boxes, I'm sure a whole coke box would be a BIG hoot! He doesn't seem to dig ropes to much. I know the toy he would really, really love.... he wants to use my laptop as a perch!!!:S