NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Water bottle?

Cagal08

How many bird owners of large parrots give them solely a water bottle to drink out of? I know birds love to soak their pellets in their water and eventually splash that mixture on your walls so I was wondering how many use solely a water bottle and no cup?

Tyco loves to make soup but I find that if I put her water on the oppisite side of the cage from her food she keeps her water clean so I don't use bottles either. Tyco likes to try and bath in her water as well so even though she can't very well I let her play a little water splash never hurt anything.

Pat

Bella has has a bowl, but I'm thinking about getting her a bottle as well as she dumps her water out and if she dumps her water while I'm at work, she won't have water until I get home. So, I'm going to leave her the water bowl as she likes to play in the water and make soup, but I also need to make sure she has fresh drinking water all the time.

Yea this is why I think I am going to raise Rosco on a water bottle, they make a mess in their water then risk getting a bacteria infection and or gram negative constantly and I will wean Rosco so I think this is the better way to so and those lixit 32 oz big top end are nice bottles.

Good idea, Siobhan, maybe put a pirate flag on it too:lol:

Josey does not dunk too much stuff in her water bowl, maybe it is because it is on the opposite end of her cage from her food bowls, but she does try bathing in her bowl because when I come home from work there is always a lot less water in it and I know she didn't drink all that:whistle:

The floating walnut shells are a new development. His water dish actually is on the opposite side of his cage. He has to take the walnut and carry it under his swing all the way to the water dish. I'm hoping the novelty of this will wear off soon. I know the water's only coloured because of the shell, but it just looks so disgusting:sick: No self respecting pirate would sail those waters!

p.s. sorry I've screwed up this post with my huge picture. It was supposed to be message board sized, but they must mean message boards in the land of the giants:P

I have heard about birds with water bottles that didn't know what they were and almost dying of thirst. If you do put in a water bottle as well as the bowl, you might make sure that your bird knows what it is for.

I haven't done it myself but i would think you would need to show her/him how to use it - i would think that using your finger to show your bird how the water comes out.

I wouldn't use only the water bottle unless i had for sure seen my bird use the water bottle for its intended purpose - as opposed to all the unintended purposes it will use it for. hehe.