NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

really new bird owner needs help

oldgreg

hello,

I am wondering how to work with my African Grey to get him to step up and down. I have only picked him up from the floor. I want to give him his space and not rush him if that is what is best. He lets me pet him in his cage. I think he was warming up nicely to me and the family but an incident the other day has me thinking that he's mad or scared of me. The Senegal I got hasn't really let us pet him very much and he tends to snap wildly when you put your hand too close. The other day I was thinking he wanted me to pet him and after a sec he bit me pretty hard. When I pulled my hand away he was attatched and kinda was flung on the floor. It took a few minutes to catch him and get him back in his cage. I think that affected the grey's perception of me. I just got a book on greys and one on Senegals so I started to work with the little Senegal and take him in a towel in the bathroom and practice petting and stepping up, which is going very well. yesterday he stepped up on my towel covered hand and today on my bare hand. But the whole time I was in the bathroom with him the grey was making a fuss. Any advice? Thanks

According to Barbara Heidenreich, there isn't much that a bird won't do for a treat. Using gentleness, patience and bribery will help you make friends with your new birds, and help you "mend your fences."

The Parrot Problem Solver

and

Good Bird!

These are both excellent books on dealing with birds that are fearful.

Thanks for the book recommendations, I am still looking for what he likes for a treat. He does like almonds and apples. I've tried all sorts of fresh veggies and fruits on the list of stuff they love but he doesn't seem to like much. I think he's better today.

oldgreg wrote:

Thanks for the book recommendations, I am still looking for what he likes for a treat. He does like almonds and apples. I've tried all sorts of fresh veggies and fruits on the list of stuff they love but he doesn't seem to like much. I think he's better today.

It took me over a year to get Kumiko to do anything for a treat (we couldn't find anything that he like well enough to be bribed with it), now I use Harrison's Power Treats and Almonds as bribery most of the time.

Your grey making a fuss when you and the senegal are out of the room may well be him worrying because his flock is out of his sight. Give him a whistle when he calls to let him know that you haven't abandoned him. It will make him feel more secure.

Something that really worked for me with the stepping up and down was using a wooden perch instead of my hand to get my grey off her cage. If she was inclined to bite, she bite the perch - not me! :laugh:

It really takes a while for you and your bird to bond. I had Beckette for two years before i didn't have scabs on my hands from her little "love" nips. It took me a while to read her body language. And i didn't take it personally when she did bite me. It wasn't because she didn't love me - i just wasn't doing what she wanted! I was being a bad parrot parent!

It may take a while to get him to trust you. When i brought mine home i put him in his cage and talked to him gently and stayed with him but gave him space at the same time. I tried to take him out the next day and he drew blood with a bite and I left him alone. Still talking to him i offered a peace offering a peanut and he snapped at my hand so i put it in his bowl. The next day tried again and offered a peanut in one hand and my other hand to his chest and he had to choose yummy peanut or bite my hand he chose the peanut and thats the last time i was ever bit. Now hes like glued to me anywhere i go. Patience and calmness is key. Him being thrown to the ground is a set back but you have to gain his trust. get that and you have a friend forever.

kiwibarb12 wrote:

Something that really worked for me with the stepping up and down was using a wooden perch instead of my hand to get my grey off her cage. If she was inclined to bite, she bite the perch - not me! :laugh:

I have recently been training Doorknob to use a perch. He steps up and down just fine for me, but not my wife. So I am going to try and show him that the perch is ok, that way my wife will be able to have him out more when I'm not home.

zooman, thanks. I guess I have to be more patient and just keep trying. I didn't know what to expect as typical behavior. He steps up just fine from the floor- doesn't hesitate at all. I guess I have to prepare for the bites. When I tried to use a wooden spoon instead he just backed up quick to his safe perch. Today he was very fiesty, he likes to make a lot of noise and spill his water in his ceramic dish.

I ususally start off with smooth talk so he's not startled or anxious about my approach then I offer scratches. Yesterday he was so into the scratches he stepped up on his own for better interaction. He's finally perching and actually climbed up his gym ladder to perch. Today he's stepping up with more confidence. The first week at age 11 weeks it was awkward as I had to force my hand upward against him to step up. I think he just wasn't sure how to since prior he was always scooped up. How old is yours? Maybe balance and perching is still new? When using a stick with my cockatiel or Macaw I move in quickly as not to give much choice on backing up.

Stepping up from the ground in like the easiest because he wants to be higher and is a good way to train when your grey is being bitie with other people. Im not sure how long youve had him but like i said dont give up and leave him to know that you'll give in when he bites or trys to its a vicious cycle thats will be hard to break. Eventually you'll have to give him no other choice but to step up not frocefully but if he steps on your hand from the floor then he physically knows how to, maybe when you do this say step up and step down when you put him in his cage. A good breeder wouldve done this training for you before you brought him home. Ive heard good and bad about using a perch i guess in a last resort its better than nothing but i feel and have read it takes away the human bond over time. But im not one to talk about what ive read because i let him on my shoulder all the time and i have read not to let them, so again patience but show him your the boss at the same time..good luck

One thing you need to be aware of with the perch is that the bird has to know what it is before you try to use it - with Beckette i left it on the top of her cage so she could see it and touch it, and know it wasn't an evil snake thing that was out to get her.

She used to be very intolerant of new objects, and had to have time to get used to them.

The other thing is that it needs to be big enough for your bird to stand on comfortably - ie. appropriate for her foot size. I would think a wooden spoon would be too small for your grey to balance on comfortably.

oh - i don't use the perch any more. I only used it while she and i were getting used to each other - and when she was feeling particularly obstreporous and bity - like when i was going to put her in the cage when she didn't want to go. :woohoo:

I had a rough time going. Obi (my CAG) is my first large bird. We're settled in now and doing wonderful. It took lots of time and patience and getting to the point where I wasn't afraid of her. We're both very comfortable now with each other.

Obi loves yogurt peanuts. She'll eat the yogurt off, and basically toss the nut aside. We give her a couple of them each evening. Try them and see if your bird likes them. We get ours at Giant in the bulk food isle. Yogurt raisins might work too.

Good luck with your bird and finding a treat that they enjoy.

I only use the perch when my cockatiel and Macaw wanted to be uncooperative as well. Usually with the Macaw it's when she gets on top of the cage feeling superior I suppose. My cockatiel is not so hands on friendly in the first place but lovable with talking. The perch beats getting bit by a Macaw beak when they are moody. Otherwise I have no social or loving problems with her. She cuddles and prefers me over everyone else. Hesitancy getting a Macaw to step up on your arm or perch when in an uncooperative mood just adds to lack of cooperation. In the case of our new family member the CAG he didn't know how to step up. My pressing up to him forced him to step. Certainly in no way to injure him. Showing hesitancy or fear seems to form a pattern in their reaction. I use the perch on the Macaw and Cockatiel to show them I insist they cooperate. Perhaps it's a matter of individual birds. I hope it works out.<br><br>Post edited by: Mel, at: 2008/07/16 00:22